Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Can we keep this discussion in the noob thread?

I’m not sure why you are struggling with this. Several people have offered suggestions on how to make it work.

Connect to your DV6 Pro
Load the .bin file from MakerX into the custom firmware tab
Upload.

It’s really that simple. It would take you less time to open up your enclosure than to clog various threads about this issue.

2 Likes

it doesn’t stick. I’m trying the bootloader thing right now.

Edit: bootloader trick doesn’t work, the FW still doesn’t stick.

• I can’t access the file with VT on a chromebook or on android (file browser issues)
  • the FW doesn’t stick even when using a PC, even after uploading the generic bootloader.
  • metr doesn’t have the ability to upload FW files

I don’t want to open my enclosure because

• if I slice into the waterproofing I risk cutting a wire
  • the more I open it up, the less waterproofing material I have left to patch up the hole, and I have to order this stuff from china so it takes ages to get here.

I guess this is good incentive for me to get a VESC BT dongle in addition to my metr dongle, just for FW uploads.

If you have metr you should not need any other dongle to make it work.

I have to try this. I didn’t actually know this was possible

This will make it super easy to adjust my throttle curve, finally.

@Takachi14 lol

2 Likes

but the thing is… it doesn’t.

I’ve asked people that do it and they just say “it should work” without telling me the secret sauce they’re using.

yes, I do force-close metr before opening the VT app.
]yes I have tried turning off and on again both BT and the device on both ends.

the VT app just gives a “BLEConnectionError” message whenever I try to connect.

and @ShutterShock we’re not talking TCP, that’s currently the only whay I use to connect and I’m completely unable to get FW to stick when using TCP

You said TCP forwarding works.

Use it.

The only thing I need an actual wired connection for is tuning HFI.

edited comment above

:exploding_head:

Oh I know I’m interjecting

I just am happy that there’s a possibility of actually playing with throttle curve, using metr, without opening my board.

1 Like

On metr - I knew you could do it with nrf

To be fair most of the time I set and forget with vesc stuff, because I hate the mobile app, and none of my vescs have bt modules

@Evwan you’re never winning the mobile versus desktop, desktop is way better.

2 Likes

You find it hard on metr?

Haven’t properly tried yet because

I haven’t tried

Using a BLE connection in lieu of a TCP connection is not going to make your firmware stick. It’s not going to change anything.

on metr you don’t get a fancy graph, but it lets you just directly input the values and type, makes for much easier on-the-fly tweaking.

poke around Expert mode it’s really good, in some ways better than VT

Yeah lowkey that’s what I like haha

1 Like

this is not at all what I’m doing, this is a situation where I’m not using TCP, but using the VESCtool app to try to connect directly to the metr over BT instead of having to TCP to my phone then bridge to BT

Why?

I just want this FW to stick without taking sharp tools to my board.

this is really defeating me. I’m about to just completely give up any hopes of trying out 5.3