Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Y’all should really start doing this on a computer and not a phone.

3 Likes

I find lots of successes running my battery amps real low and my motor amps really high.

Both of those work together. I absolutely did NOT say just jack up your motor amps to crazy levels.

I HATE configuring vesc stuff on my phone, metr or vesc app, it all sucks lol

3 Likes

For me I usually run 50 battery amps per side and 100 motor amps, haven’t gone any higher though

Yeah phones are cool for telemetry or maybe an emergency fix but doing the entire configuration on them is for the birds.

1 Like

I don’t understand why so many YouTube esk8 guides tell people to use a phone. Just boot up a PC and git gud.

1 Like

My current settings are 75/75, thinking about possibly raising it to 100/75 or 120/75. I’ve noticed I max out the motor amps occasionally, so raising it should give better acceleration when I need it. 95% of the time it doesn’t go past 50A, so extra heating should be negligible.

1 Like

I’ve setup a few boards with Freesk8 app without issue, super easy.
FW on the other hand, I will always plug into a comp.

2 Likes

Ugh with my build all sealed up and waterproofed, the only way to communicate with my VESC is through the metr dongle, either TCP or BT.

Usually TCP to the desktop version of VT is fine for 95% of things, but this new FW is throwing a wrench in my usual process

What specifically is preventing desktop use?

On that note, you seem to be the exact guy who would know; is there a Linux vesctool? My Chromebook can’t run windows apps. But it can run Linux apps.

A ton of glued down foam and butyl tape

I was using the desktop app. I checked the Bootloader tab but, like I said, there was nothing listed. I’ll take another look sometime when I can be bothered. Thanks!

It’s the same thing. Just accept whatever comes up and go with it. It’s built into the tool so no need to load a file or anything. It will be one of these options:

Or are you saying it’s totally blank and none of those three options come up?

1 Like

The latter, yeah. Nothing comes up. I’m using @rpasichnyk’s v3.0.0 for OSX fwiw.

1 Like

Only thing I can think of is to try a different version tool. 2.06 and 3.01 have the “generic” bootloader option, but 3.00 doesn’t seem to.

2 Likes

Will do Cheers bro :fist_right: :fist_left:

1 Like

Depends on how high we’re talking. The higher you go, the more heating, and also more torque you will have, up to the point where the stator begins to saturate.

At that point, which is different for every motor size, you will stop getting any significant increase in performance, and will only get a LOT more heat.

1 Like

VESC Tool supports Linux, yes.

I don’t know much about Chromebooks though.

1 Like

I used to have to run crouton and have a very shitty Linux emulator, I quickly gave up. If my girl accidentally hit yes instead of no powering the pc on, Linux and everything I did on it would be erased. But now, there’s a developer setting or something where I can natively run Linux apps, which means I may finally be able to use computer vesc tool.