Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

“ay yo sendcutsend I need an Altoids tin but a Lil wider and a lot stronger. And throw a heatsink on that bitch.”

2 Likes

Some of the ones on ebay don’t do balancing at all. They only check voltages, and cut off charge/discharge if something is amiss. If you do end up going this route, make extra sure the one you get does actually balance.

3 Likes

i didnt i cut the enclosure (since it was 3d printed eitherway) and am printing a piece to cover the tip of the bms and will epoxy it on

1 Like

How do you know?

This.

Even some of the well known brands like Bestech have a lot of models that don’t have balancers. Avoid these BMS at all costs.

If the BMS doesn’t state its balance current, assume it doesn’t have balancers at all and just don’t buy it. It’s the safest way.

There are also balance boards and you can in theory use them with no BMS at all if you just use the balancers.

It doesn’t offer as much protection while charging though. Most setups have dual protection: the BMS is preventing an overcharge and the charger is preventing an overcharge. If something breaks, the other one is still preventing a disaster. Using a balance board eliminates the fallback protection. And if you used the wrong charger with only a balance board, you’ll be in a world of hurt.

So you should use at least a charge only BMS.

2 Likes

3S and 4S used together can give you almost any series count

1 Like

Why 22574 replies on this thread? Because it is a Noob thread! hahah

2 Likes

We all gotta start somewhere

2 Likes

Even the most seasoned pro builder was a noob who knew Jack Squat at one time.

Congratulations, you’re on the same path they took!

4 Likes

And the knowledge is just infinite.

why does no one around here talk about bear walker? why are there no electric bear walker boards? can we talk about bear walker decks? do you guys even know about bear walker decks?
fuck man i guess i gotta grab a couple and do it my self.

Thankfully, nothing on a ride. Just used them to repair a few sensor wires, but they pulled right out of the cheap solder.

Easier and better to just solder the wires, as I do now.

This is the single most valuable thread on the forum, and @MysticalDork and @b264 (as well as others) get a lot of credit for that.

6 Likes

Trying to calibration my puck with the wizard. Why do I keep getting this screen?

MakerX DV6 running 5.2 on both sides as far as I can tell

Any tips?

get a good iron (soldering station)
leaded solder with a flux core
helping hands are super useful
then i guarantee you can solder easily up to 12/10 awg no problem

if you have bad solder (or very thin solder) or a bad iron or nothing to hold the wires with you will struggle to solder anything

my setup:

Hi,
I just got a new Mountainboard dual drive with 6384 170kV motors.
2x 6s 20000mAh Turnigy lipos in series
2x trampa vesc 6
It is running awesome but my vesc shows wrong numbers for my speed (and then probably for other values, too).
I set the diameter to 190mm (measured), 14 poles and battery to 10Ah (had 20Ah before, wrong values, too).
Am I missing something?

In addition I get quite high motor amps in the Log, I set max motor amps to 100 per vesc but log shows up to 160 amps. How does that happen?

Thank you in advance!

gear ratio should also be filled in

1 Like

Yes forgot to mention it, i set it to 5.

What is your motor pulley tooth count and wheel pulley tooth count?

How are you measuring speed (GPS?) and how far is it off?

How are you viewing the logs? metr or in the VESC tool? Maybe it’s combining both motors and you are getting 80A each would be about right

1 Like