Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’m wanting to do a 4wd build with a 13s-14s P42A battery, dual ubox (or other HV VESC), and these backfire ranger x2 hub motors.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea?

I plan to keep each motor under its 1200 watt rating of course.

It’s not a bad idea, but it is wasteful…at ~60V you’d be pulling about 20 battery amps per side and HV ESCs are usually rated for much higher

2 Likes

Yes I agree lol.

That’s my only concern right now, but if I end up with a fun, low maintenance, lightweight on/off road hybrid build, I’ll be okay with it. :man_shrugging:t5:

1 Like

So you want an urban carver. Not the best at offroad and not the highest performance street board, but something super enjoyable and comfy to ride that can handle most terrain you’re likely to ride on.

1 Like

How much does balancing affect speed wobbles?

200mm Primo Alphas on Rockstar IIs with MBS 72T pulleys running at maybe low 20s

Him want sketbord.

2 Likes

Hey guys, i was looking for soldering alternatives because I always seem to fail when I try to solder and thats why I hate it so much lol!
2022-01-12 20_52_54-Window

I was lookin at those cable connectors where you just need to put cables in and apply heat to connect them. Would that be a save alternative to standart soldering?

2 Likes

No. Learn to solder.

2 Likes

Follow the instructions. Use a heat gun. I’ve used lighters and they tend to fail. You want an even heat and even flow. There’s is an art to these to properly be done.

I’ve used them countless times with no fail when done properly. If you need a hand, hit me up.

2 Likes

You’ll be fine. My mtb on rockstar 2 with 200mm and have little to no wobble that effects stability. Can hold a steady 35mph with no issues.

1 Like

could do 4x the flipsky 75100s? They’re extra tall but fit in a double stack enclosure, and they’re still a “waste” on paper but they’re so much cheaper. They occasionally go for ~$70 each, and are reliably 100 or less

2 Likes

For low-current, non-mission-critical applications, I would say those are 100% perfect.

I don’t think I would ever use them for a main battery cable or motor wire though, I just don’t trust that low-temperature solder alloy nearly as much as good old tin/lead.
(Plus I don’t see any flux in there, which makes me even less trusting.)

Bottom line is if you’re building an electric ANYTHING, especially a vehicle, ESPECIALLY a vehicle that will have a person on it, you should learn to solder, and solder well. I would be more than happy to give you tips and feedback to help you improve. Soldering is an extremely valuable and versatile skill, and one an esk8 builder can’t do without in my opinion.

4 Likes

He specifically said “lightweight”

Four 6355 would be fine…more than fine, in fact.

2 Likes

#confessional

I was playing in vesc tool and turned on my remote to check calibration… and launched my board right off my workbench. :scream: Fun times.

What do you guys use as a workbench board stand? (so the wheels don’t get traction and go flying)

2 Likes

another board, but ive seen some pretty neat board stands around.
edit: vidaXL Wall Mounted Skateboard Holder 9.8"x7.9"x11.8" Solid Mango Wood | vidaXL.com
image_1_320480

for a bench top stand, i think something in that shape would be excellent. just something solid to hold the wheels up, and could hold a deck or two when not in use.

1 Like

I put the board across my bench with the wheels hanging off, using the short width of the bench.

1 Like

grab 2 TB110, flip the board upside down and lay on top the wheels :joy:
no enough clearance? grab 2 more wheels and stack on top

4 Likes

that works right up until youre tightening the nuts up one last bit and knock it over, i know from experience XD

1 Like

While that would make for an expensive board stand, and I have them right here, I echo @Kai - I saw all my money and all my time flash before my eyes - if I’m going to fix this little problem, it’s going to be a permanent, robust solution

1 Like

the one pictured above wouldnt be hard to make. im imagining you just sit your drivetrain hanger in one of the slots to keep the wheels up, and hold it in place. if you build one, you could measure accordingly, and maybe add some kind of weight to the bottom. hell, a tiny steel football goalpost could work, and would be mad cheap. my other idea is a sort of “board hammock.”