Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

thanks for the help.

I had to make a PPM cable, this is the pinout:
Reciever Channel 2:
GND-5V-Sig

:innocent: my bad, I have a terrible sense of humor and, for some reason, often feel the need to speak like my mom and dad have the same mom and dad or something along those lines.

I wasn’t home to measure but when I did get down to it what I did was just wrap painters tape around like a belt then seent how many mm that was being. I like to visualize things plus my brain compartments and departments that think thoughts or whatever ain’t near good as yours is…

Be aware that since belts are significantly thicker than tape, the tape will sit closer to the center of the pulleys, and give you a smaller circumference of warp than a true belt will. This can add 5 to 10+mm of length to the whole system, so keep that in mind.

2 Likes

When I say screenshot, I mean the entire window, not just those fields you’ve edited. I’m looking at other details you may have truncated here.

Some of the things I am looking for are not in the screenshots.

there’s nothing truncated, those were all of the entry lines in the window, what’s cut out is just the 2 sidebars and menu bar

Right, but I’m specifically suggesting not to measure it, but rather to count and then multiply.

Yes, and there is a lot of information on those sidebars, on the status bar, and on the menu bar.

Screenshot 2022-01-07 12.53.54 AM
here’s all the stuff I cut out

Would it really kill you to just do what the person who’s trying to help you is asking? It might, just maybe, make it less of a pain for the both of you, and who knows, maybe more people would be willing to help in the future. Just saying.

7 Likes

Dude, just post a screenshot. I’m not going to piece all this together and then wonder if all the information was even presented simultaneously.

Do you want free help or not? My goodness

I may rescind my offer

7 Likes

I thought I was

here’s attempt #2.

it would be much easier if I knew the information you were after

1 Like

Good boy. pats head

3 Likes

It looks like the white wire isn’t connected, and hasn’t been connected since the ESC booted.

Which ESC is it?

Can you check the connection on the white wire and wiggle everything?

Yeah I had a feeling. I’m gonna take a DMM to the cable and re-crimp it if needed. I have a suspicion my crimpers are ass and aren’t crushing the wire properly in the terminals.

MakerX DV6 Pro, I had it running for a little using my wonky VX3 but that remote can’t be trusted so I’m trying to swap back to the mini.

1 Like

edit: oh you probably mean the JST crimp, nevermind

one end is JST-PH2 and the other end is dupont, I’m crimping the dupont end, though I could crimp the JST end of some cables I have with dupont headers already on

I wonder if it would actually be easier or more reliable to just cut the cables all in half and solder them instead of crimping a head on…

Put the crimpers away and get the soldering iron out.

My personal opinion is fuck crimping.

I solder everything, including the little tiny JST connector ends which are a serious pain in the ass to solder but I do it anyway. Just solder with them vertically and use the world’s smallest amount of solder and shortest blast of heat, otherwise the solder flows into the connector part.

1 Like

HA! YES! I finally got a solid crimp that survives a rigorous wiggle test!

I agree, fuck crimping this shit sucks.

1 Like

Just so it’s been said: a perfectly properly done crimp CAN be better than a perfectly done solder and this is why you see a crapload of crimping in automotive manufacturing.

Perfect crimps are great in theory, but where do they exist in reality? Do you have robots to crimp wires? I don’t, and my crimps suck, and are much more difficult than soldering.

However, in practice, any crimp I produce, even with specialized tools, is going to be far inferior to nearly all solder joints I produce.

#fuckcrimping

1 Like