Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Technically Yes but not if the hardware can’t handle it. You have to make sure you lable them correctly.

Battery amps = what you pull from battery
Motor amps = what your motor pulls

(Motor amps CAN and will be higher than battery amps as they’re not equal)

Motor current brake : what the motor generates while braking
Battery current (max) regen : what the battery gets fed while breaking

Battery current regen should not exceed what your battery is rated for to charge or you can damage it over time.

2 Likes

It says that it “can” 30A or 25A is the best spot for it. If that’s for motor wise or battery. Think it’s battery

there are two sets of values

battery side

• max amp (higher value = more high speed torque)
  • max regen (more negative value = more high speed brake)

motor side

• max amp (higher value = more low speed torque)
  • max regen (more negative value = more low speed brake)

for ur flipsky 4.12, don’t go over 50a max amp on motor side per esc, and i recommend -30(ish)a motor regen

as for the battery, since u r using high amp lipos, it really doesn’t matter what u put for regen, since u won’t be drawing more amp than what u set on the motor side, u can go even lower, like 30a, this value mostly affect the top end speed torque, so i suggest not to use a high (more negative) value for battery regen, maybe -15 would do as it is the value for how strong the brake will be when u r in high speed, u don’t want to be superman, trust me

(all values are assumed u have a dual drive setup)

3 Likes

@Red_souls and remember the higher numbers you pull/push, the hotter everything gets. Especially on the fets flipsky uses on the 4.12 vescs which are hard to cool.

2 Likes

I have a single setup. 30A was always in the question since, not much different then 25A. Question was where do I put that value and not fuck everything else up. Not sure if that counts for single as well since my discharge rate continuous will be at 115

Yea I figured. Lower numbers = VESC and motor happy. I might stick between 30 and 25. Could switch to 30 if I’m feeling the need for speed, 26 or 27 for cruising. Where would those values go again? Want to remember for later today when I go back and double check everything

Amps do not change the speed overall, just the time you get to that speed (just fiy)

in vesc tool, read motor config, then change the motor current values, and write it. u can try with 40a current, and -30 regen for motor, if u need stronger brakes, go more negative on the regen value

this part

2 Likes

So lower the amperage, the less stress is put on the vesc and motor

And what would I put for battery current max and regen? I’m guessing for the max I put 42 (max of each cell)

your battery regen should be the charging current of your battery (-4.5A)

if u do 40/-30 motor, then its no point going more than 40a battery current, and -10a battery regen

2 Likes

Have you not watched any vesc tutorials yet?

Just for reference, this is what i am running on my board.

Numbers are per side.

*These do not translate 1:1 into your parts so don’t copy them

3 Likes

that’s the cell charge voltage, its a completely different thing

1 Like

Yea I have. None of them get in depth of what each thing is so that’s why I came here to get things simplified better

it’s using a 1P battery (LiPo) so his cell and pack values are the same (besides voltage which is 10s for his pack and 5s for his “cells”)

@Red_souls

So 40A motor current max
-30A motor current max brake

-10A battery current max regen

2 Likes

in VESCtool there are little question mark icons next to input fields to explain their effect and function

1 Like

I’ll look into that later today

1 Like

Remember that these numbers can always be changed and do not require a reconfiguration of the whole vesc (just make sure to save it). If you decrease/increase any of these numbers do it in incremental steps and always test how it feels.

3 Likes