Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

no, but that’s a good catch. when the battery can do that much we should question the limits of the VESC

which version? it should have a description of the max amps it can handle (per side if it’s a dual)

For the VESC I was cautioned not to go over 50A as that’s false advertisement on their part that it can handle that much, I should go down to 25, 30 if I feel a little need for speed

I’m running a single setup so 50A is the max it can go but a lot people say not to trust it so go lower

50A should be fine. using belts I found that even rocketing up most hills only taxed my battery about 45-47 amps. 50A would be able to handle most riding situations.

What amperage should I set for braking? The lower the amount goes, less brake or it increases the braking power the lower amount (I didn’t touch the value since I wasn’t sure. I’m not riding it anytime soon, just getting things set up. I knew for sure I’ll be going back to the settings later on)

for maximum brake ams, I like to set it to the negative version of whatever I use for max motor amps.

then I like to set the max regen braking current to about 50% higher than the amperage I charge at (I charge at 8A so i have regen set to -12A)

though braking power is personal preference. it’s good to find a starting point that’s lower than you like, and increase it after every test to get it to a place where you like the brake strength but it’s not so strong that you get the ejection seat at a full stop.

1 Like

Alright. I would be charging at 1C (4.5a) for motor amps, it was set to 78.51, I lowered it to 60. Would that affect the performance or not really. Wanted to put less strain on the motor

60 should be fine (although didn’t you say your VESC can’t handle over 50A?)

Motor amps ≠ Battery amps.

He can technically pull 60 Amps Motor current brake
But shouldn’t do that as battery current max regen. (The stuff that actually goes back into the battery, thus flowing through the vesc)

2 Likes

agreed.

as per my post earlier

as I don’t know too much about LiPos, I want to play it safe here and simply reccomend setting your regen current to the same as the charging current for your cells.

50A battery max and -50A brake current should be good for your hardware

@Red_souls what motors are you using? my usual starting point for motor amps is 2x battery amps minus 20%

I think I put 60 for the regen, luckily I’m not riding it yet, figured I would come back with the settings. Can’t put more in then the battery can’t handle itself. What would you recommend?

1 Like

i see, u r trying to blow up his flipsky 4.12

2 Likes

It is important to lable which kind of current you’re talking about.

50A battery amps - pulling from battery clearly.
-50A brake current - referring to Motor or battery regen?

That is very important

Using a Flipsky 6374

This would mean you would A: push 60A through your vesc and B: push 60amps back into your battery. Not good.

I was referring to the motor.

I’ve been under the impression more brake amps was always better, and the VESC will only use as much as it needs.

better to have strong brakes and a blown VESC than weak brakes and a T-bone crash. I always imagine the scenario of riding down a hill and there’s a busy intersection at/near the bottom.

• and - is a good idea to configure which is which, + is take in, - draw out. Or role reversed in test scenario
1 Like

I didn’t play with that setting since I wasn’t sure what value is best for it. I was going to go back and adjust these as needed

@Red_souls you should take what @xsynatic says over my advice, he has far more experience.