Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I keep my braking foot pointed away from the board around 45°. Tends to help with keeping foot mostly off the wheel. Still happens though as your foot wants to come to your body center.

Sounds counterintuitive but you may be putting too much pressure on braking foot.

3 Likes

This might very well be. I was trying to come to a stop as soon as possible. Guess i have to try it in a softer way.

1 Like

Something that helped me get better at foot breaking was switching to practice on analog boards, and also using part of my foot to brake initially (like my heel), then make more contact as I go (placing my midfoot down, then making contact with my entire foot).

looking at the video again it also seems like a pretty sudden placement, so slowing that down to get a good feel for it might help too

4 Likes

It was as quick and hard as possible. Easing into it, gotcha. I also didn’t want to risk the chance of losing balance.

Yeah, it’s kinda scary foot braking for the first time (I’ve definitely ate shit before lol) but it’ll pay off in the long run if you get a good feel for balancing on one foot – especially if you’re going fast and all of a sudden you have no brakes because of some failure. Once you get a good feeling for how to balance on one foot with braking, it’ll help tremendously when you need to stop hard

3 Likes

I’m gonna sand down my Demonseed to patch some holes and clean the cut edges, what do you guys recommend I seal it with? Ideally something from Lowe’s

Polyurethane varnish is good.

1 Like

This sounds crazy dangerous.

I keep my foot straight. The key is the pressure

3 Likes

Butyl Tape

#butylgang

What about polycrylic?

I use to as well but my foot would tend to slid towards the board. I found with myself, if I pointed my foot away, it would stay away.

This is key how ever you foot brake lol.

Trying to get HFI working. I’ve looked through treads, made a thread, followed a video… I’m still stuck with this outcome. I even re-soldered the motor phases on the weird motor.

Polycrylic is usually best for indoor use (no water). Polyurethane is much better for use on a skateboard.

1 Like

Would anyone be willing to remote into this VESC to see if there’s something really wrong with it?

Thanks for letting me know. I’m investigating. One work-around in the meantime is to to add some loc-tite to the wall of the bearing seat (in hub). Clean the mating parts with an alcohol swab before applying the thread locker for best results.
Let me know how it goes.
Joel

2 Likes

Something like Loctite 641 medium-strength retaining compound would do nicely.

1 Like

Where can I find zinc plated steel hardware? Specifically M5 35mm countersink, and M4 45/60mm socket. McMaster and Bolt Depot don’t have them

M5: McMaster-Carr

M4:
45: McMaster-Carr
60: McMaster-Carr

The m4 are in blue tho, weird. Don’t know if that matters to you

1 Like

I was hoping to avoid the blue, I guess I missed the M5 lol

1 Like

Kind of confused with what value goes to which in VESCtool, anyone know how to simplify it to make it easier? Too much shit makes it confusing for a beginner lol