Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I just had a orange shockblock on my matrix ii rear truck fall out when I went over a big bump is it just held in by a short screw. Does this ever happen or I did something wrong? I don’t have to take the truck off to put it back on right?

The problem with this, is that I strongly suspect the BLDC code is legacy at this point and probably has few if any testers finding bugs in newer versions.

I’ve run unsensored BLDC extensively and in fact the only reason I switched to FOC is because of HFI. If I was going to run sensored, it’d probably be on BLDC with older firmware if I didn’t need any new features.

1 Like

That’s an interesting one, what do you mean by stops the rotation but doesn’t brake? My assumption is that you mean it stops the rotation while free spinning on a bench but with you on it it doesn’t actually brake, but I’m not sure

At this point any screenshots or extra info you can give of relevant setup info would probably spot the 1 line of weirdness, or you could try wiping everything and starting from scratch

yeah I don’t disagree, but I think a lot of the new stuff is high level feature implementation rather than low level stuff that’ll interfere with the basic operation of BLDC. As a last ditch attempt it couldn’t hurt to go back to previous fully compiled version of VESC tool

1 Like

Now that sounds weird as hell but I haven’t tested it, will have a go tomorrow

1 Like

Not the first time I’ve heard of this. When I turn all the way the only thing holding the outside bushing in is the tuning peg, and there’s no contact on the top at all. While it hasn’t happened to me yet, it shouldn’t take much for it to come out all the way, and I’ve heard others complain about it.

2 Likes

I put it back on. I just noticed the non top contact too. I put removable blue 242 threadlock on the threads and the little pin part (which goes into the shockblock) above the threads for the shock block screw I’m hoping that it holds it to the screw so it never wants to come out. This was the biggest road #$&@ I’ve ever seen. Basically a small block the size of two hands worth of road was essentially removed from the ground and it was a 2-3 incch deep hole. Ive pretty much never seen anything like that.

1 Like

Regenerative brakes don’t come to a complete stop like friction brakes do. As they approach zero erpm their braking power falls off a cliff.

You can use a powered brake/reverse like “current”, “hyst reverse”, or “smart reverse” control mode if you want to attain zero speed electrically.

Make a video of the scream

1 Like

I’m expecting the typical stator saturation scream.

1 Like

Exactly that. Can feel it, hear it, has all the signs of exactly that.

Update. I did charge them up to 4.19v/4.20v and let them sit for little over a week now. Voltage seems have settled in at 4.13v

I unfortunately don’t remember to what voltage they dropped right after turning off the charger. Plus the charger did not disengage charging, i stopped it manually when it was bouncing between 4.19 and 4.20

1 Like

Depending on how they were charged that 4.13V could be good or not so great. Unfortunately there’s not enough info for us to be able to definitely say whether there is a lot of damage or not.

It seems like they aren’t badly damaged but there can be hidden internal stuff that pops up later. Sorry, I just don’t have any good advice for you regarding you should use them or not. It will have to be your call.

1 Like

I’ve heard of the hypertruck bushings falling out, but never the og shock blocks :thinking: maybe you just didn’t have the retaining screw in tight enough?

2 Likes

4 Likes

Screenshot_20211219-082304_Chrome

Too many loose

6 Likes

I tightened all 4 shock block till before the shock block base starts rising up from where it sits. Added a lot of removable threadlock 242 as well. I went on a 5km ride after that and it was good :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Did you get around to testing the BLDC braking thing?

Second this. I’ve been riding it this way for almost 4 years. Never had one issue.

2 Likes

@MBS what is your take on how to fix bearing slop in the black mbs fivestars? Some bearings can be pulled out with my small finger, others can rotate inside the bearing seat (the outer bearing ring is spinning)

I’ve tried some PTFE tape but that usually gets pushed away from the bearing when i insert it.

I didn’t have this problem on the older white fivestars.

Black five-stars were bought in September 2021
The white ones i got on march 2020

1 Like

Did my first Footbreaks today and cut a few clips together. Not the best to judge but anything i might do wrong/could be improved?

One thing that was kinda sketch is that my foot was near my rear tire and it hit several times.

You can see the where my foot hit the tire and rubbed on the shoe.

I found it quite difficult to keep my right foot near the the front with the created drag.

1 Like