Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

The strength of the resin is much lower than that of the fiber, so the better the ratio, the better the tensile strength, and the higher the young’s modulus.

It’s a pretty significant effect too - K Yang et al in the 2020 IOP conference series on materials science and engineering found that raising the resin content from 30% to 50% decreased the tensile strength by 27%, and the elastic modulus by 34%.

Obviously you can go too low with the resin if the fibers aren’t fully wetted and bonded, but as long as that is avoided, the lower the better.

That’s why isostatic pressing/autoclaving is popular for aerospace parts - it allows even better resin/fiber ratios than vacuum bagging.

6 Likes

Mount the receiver close to the edge of the interior and then run the antenna in between the deck and enclosure. Antenna wire is small enough to not cause a gap. Especially if you use any gasket on the enclosure.

I do this with most of my builds and have yet to see water/dust or debris inside. You can also run a little silicone where the wire exits.

Good stuff dude! TIL
Now I need to set up a real vac system

1 Like

I’ve got two Welch duo-seal vacuum pumps for sale, freshly rebuilt by yours truly!
Complete overkill for epoxy vacuuming, but they would absolutely do a wonderful job. One is a model 1400, and one is a model 1402.
They’re a bit large and heavy though.

1 Like

Holy shit! I just looked them up, that’s a serious pump.

I’d probably just run to HF, I’ve had good luck with their pumps in the past.
Thanks for the offer!

3 Likes

I tried a brief search but I feel like this belongs here:

What happened to VESC 5? Like why have I seen a mountain of VESC 4.x, VESC 6, and VESC 75 but no 5?

As far as I know, it got skipped as the 6 turned out to be a much better design, much more advanced than the 4, rather than a generational improvement that the 5 would have likely been. Basically the same reason we don’t see vesc 1, 2, or 3 models - They weren’t viable yet.

It should be mentioned that “vesc 75” isn’t actually a v7.x hardware rev. It’s still basically the v6 platform, just beefed up to handle 75 volts max instead of the 60 that the 4 and 6 can handle. Same with the vesc 100/250 - it’s vesc6 based but can handle 100V and 250A.

7 Likes

Yeah I had a poke around the schematics for 75 and the only sheet I was interested in was the swap from DRV to discrete drivers. Didn’t really check if anything else had changed and not sure I’d have noticed the changes that do exist, but that’s interesting thanks. Did Vedder publish schematics or board designs for 100?

Edit: also interesting about 1-3. I had in my head that 2 existed in the wild a bit but that there were such big jumps up to 4 and then a period where it didn’t change much so the market matured, didn’t realise they were never really a thing

1 Like

Cannot remove these tiny (grub?) screws. They were fixed using this stuff.
Have tried locktite glue remover and heatgun method, niether worked. What are my options?

Guessing I need to ‘Tap’ them (thanks youtube). Any tools ppl recommend for tapping tiny screws like this?

Are the hex slots intact? The problem I’ve had with grub screws before has been stripping those off. My two solutions are using a slightly oversized torx driver because it bites very well into the screw, or if that doesn’t work and there’s a small amount of the grub screw sticking out you can use a fairly large set of pliers to grab the screws and brute force them out. Often the pliers slide around the round outer surface, but the grub screw walls are thin enough that you can crush them to an oval shape with the pliers and then get good purchase on them

1 Like

Yeah the hex slots are threaded, so cant get purchase using hex or oversized torx driver. I guess ill try your brute force technique…though if that doesnt work, i guess tapping?

hmm, there may not enough sticking out to do that.

1 Like

When you say threaded do you mean they’re rounded over and useless or what?

This is a very janky solution but I’ve got a set of relatively hard steel but very cheap torx wrenches, so I just pick one that’s the next size up and hammer it in and twist from that. I do not want to mess with tapping a new hole

1 Like

They’re not completely rounded no, but i tried an oversized torx and it didnt work, though perhaps if used a tork driver that tapered more severely (i.e. narrow end to much wide base) then it could work. May have to order something.

1 Like

I did it lol!!! Used a hammer and torx lol. Thanks so much man

1 Like

Hahahahaha yeees the bullshit solution is spreading!!

2 Likes

I swear i tried eveything, wasted money on a blow torc and glue dissolver. Just needed a fucking hammer :joy:

1 Like

How is shipping from Europe to US faster than West Coast to East Coast in the US? Make it make sense!

Can anyone recomend & good CHEAP supplier for small amounts of 3mm keyways and 2/4 Grub screws ? (shipping to the U.K)

This is more related to the torx wrenches I was talking about earlier but just because you mentioned you’re in the UK:

If you see these Chrome Vanadium torx wrenches (they also have metric and imperial Allen ones but I didn’t get those yet) in Aldi for €4/£4, absolutely grab a set or two they’re great to have

They sometimes sell 3 packs of multi-tool style torx, imperial, and metric ones for 4 as well, but those are useless unless you want something reeeeally disposable

1 Like

ah nice find mate, there’s an aldi down the road, but i never knew they did tools! Both looks pretty handy, instagrab next time im down there.

1 Like