Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Absolutely this. I’ve been there and it sucks

1 Like

It’s a unidirectional carbon fiber. It’s different then regular carbon, a little stronger as well. So not sure if that changes the principle

According to the calculator at fibreglast.com, you’ll probably need about 250g of resin total per side. You’ll probably use more due to waste and other factors, but that should give you at least a ballpark. Something like 100g (~3 oz, two pumps resin and one pump hardener) minimum per coat.

1 Like

I’ll be adding two layers of CF to the bottom. One coat before adding the first layer, another on top of the first layer, laying the second one and adding a coat on top would be the final since I’m using a vacuum system

1 Like

Not to be a contrarian, just sharing experience.

This is quite excessive, for a 40" deck, on base coats I usually mix about 50g total per coat, for fabric embedding coats I usually mix about 80g.

3 Likes

I will defer to your experience in this field - it’s been a long time since I did composites, and I’ve never done a deck.

My decks length is about 42, width is 10 3/8th

I’d start with 60-70 grams for the first coat to be safe. Then judge how much you need for the next coats after you see what was left. For satin fabric/fiberglass, an embedding coat(on top of fabric) takes a good 50-70% more than a base coat.

I would keep @rosco s 2 minute overview near by, and read his skin tutorial a couple times over(the comment thread below it has good info too). I even went as far as practicing on a couple short 2x4s first just to get a good hands on feel of the process

Remember, thin to win, keep your coats thin.

2 Likes

Yea, I’ve screenshotted the tutorial, I’m using the vacuum method for the CF, I’m getting 526mm of carbon so idk how I’ll be able to practice. Since I’m putting two layers on the bottom, I’ll start off with 70g and see how it went down

How flexy is your deck? What are the end results you wouldlike to acheive? Do you like to go fast 25+ mph?

1 Like

It’s pretty flexible, I have a underside enclosure, I made the deck myself with 7 plys of veneer and how flexible it is. It can damage my two lipo packs inside along with the other electronics. I got some photos of it, currently as of now. Im in the process of getting carbon fiber to stiffen it up a lot. Eventually, yea I would want to go past 25, I know the max is 30, based on the calculator, but right after it’s built I won’t be going at that those speeds for while, want to have control of the beast with the reins, so not as of now

I got some photos of the flexing

Don’t expect the carbon to do the job of the 2 plys that you omitted. It would be cheaper to add the wood. You have several options at this point. First would be to add the carbon between layers. Second would be to add carbon to what you have until it feels right but it will take more layers than what I’ve seen you planning. You wont start to see any strength until you get above a 3 layer laminate

So, I used to use a mini trigger remote and would get signal cutouts in certain places that I ride. Tried a ferrite ring, but that didnt resolve the issue.

So, i got a gt2b remote and started using that. At first I didn’t get cutouts in the areas where I previously did. Now I am getting them again.

Ideas? I can’t really avoid the areas where the cutouts happen. I also don’t want to have to think about that while im riding.

You can try routing the antenna externally. It will @least help if not resolve the issue

Awesome mate thanks, yeah other people recommended the same thing, going to give it a go!

1 Like

I was really trying to avoid that in order to keep my board as watertight as possible, but might have to give it a try if nothing else works

1 Like

and why the magic number of three layers? What do the number of layers have to do with it? Fabric weave, weight, layup pattern and resin / fabric ratio will have an impact (as well as a bunch of other things) but why are you suggesting three layers as a minimum here?

2 Likes

Does less resin to fabric make it stiffer?

is it true that wheel size doesn’t impact range? the esk8.news calculator shows it doesn’t. trying to figure out my stats with the wheels I ordered

I’ve been looking it up and 2 is the maximum, 3 if wanna be extra, let alone 2 is plenty of stiffness for a deck