Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Does it have a BMS?

If the answer is yes then Metroboard has a good charger for that

$75 USD is pretty steep… I’m willing to take the AE shipping times to save $40. Thank you though

The bigger ZYPower chargers have a small fan, just be aware that they are a little noisy, also specifiy exactly which wall outlet and charge port you want

1 Like

That is a higher quality charger with no fan/noise but yeah that’s also why it’s pricey.

What cheapest reliable dual vesc would you recommend for 12s setup @ 100 amps battery? Wana go brrrrrrr on 5kw

cheap AND high-performance?

Of the trio from which you get to pick two

• cheap
  • good
  • fast

If you want to choose cheap and good, then you sacrifice fast. I would suggest hand soldering two Little FOCers yourself.

2 Likes
1 Like

Soldering vescs myself seems like my way to go. Thanks @ZachTetra @b264

If I have 2 single 4.12 vescs connect via canbus, can I have a UART receiver connected to one vesc and a UART Bluetooth module connected to the other?

Should work totally fine, for safety reasons I would always put the remote receiver on the master side UART port and all the telemetry related devices on a slave side UART port

1 Like

That’s what I planned on doing, but thank you!

And what options if my bud whats cheap & reliable vesc-based controller?

The main way to get reliable is to

• start with high quality equipment
  • turn settings down and don’t approach the performance limits

So buy good parts, run at 10S, keep “battery max” low, et cetera.

2 Likes

and a spare Kingpin is always nice to have at hand on sunday afternoon rides :rofl:

1 Like

One of the two times I’ve taken a Lyft home was for a broken kingpin

3 Likes

Yeah, I had that experience in my Skater youth. Such things only break on sundays- bearings, kingpins etc.
Just one shitty spare kingpin or bearing like you mentioned can safe your ride home. :smiley:

1 Like

Keep in mind the Cheap FOCer only does 35A battery.
That’s only 3528 watt at theoretical maximum voltage not accounting for inefficiency, far from the 5kW you’re looking for.

Oi oi. What’s going on? How can I help?

2 Likes

What’s the traction difference like between TB 110s vs something like a berg tyre on a ‘wet’ road?

Took a fall yesterday as a tiny bit of speed wobble was enough to lose grip to the road, reminded me how poor thane is in the wet :joy:

3 Likes

That’s an easy question. Thane is never going to be better than a correctly aired numie. Never.

Not in the wet. The surface area of a hard wheel is always going to be less secure than any kind of tyre.

They spread and spit water. Thane doesn’t. Regardless of the duro or the quality.

6 Likes