Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I plan on using the canbus, I’m just confused mostly on how to properly program them to worl

Make sure they both have different VESC IDs

then

Set one “Can Status Message Mode” to “CAN_STATUS_1”, that’s your slave ESC
Set the other to “Multiple VESCs Over CAN” to True, that’s your master ESC connected to the receiver

2 Likes

Do I need to configure them individually? Or if I change settings on one will it transfer?

1 Like

Configure them individually.

1 Like

Yea I set the failsafe and I have tried to change it to “PPM and UART” and “Current Hyst Reverse With Brake” but when I try to change save the changes by clicking “CAN->” it never updates and says my firmware is not up to date. I think I read if I update the Maker-X, It’ll become a brick.

The hardware Version is “410 & 411 & 412” and the firmware version is “VESC_default.bin”

The bootloader box says:
“Fw: 3.62, Hw: 410
27 00 39 00 12 50 4D 53 47 34 35 20
Paired: False, Status: STABLE”

I don’t know what any of this means or why the controller isn’t working now but it worked when I first paired everything.

Use version 1.25 from here

2 Likes

Check for faults. In the terminal, type faults. Turning off the ESC will clear the faults, so leave it on until you check.

1 Like

Bro, you are a super hero. I was so discouraged and was gonna throw the whole build away and give up. I would’ve never figured that out. Thank you so much. It is working.

3 Likes

You can also update the firmware to the newest version if you want. HOWEVER, I strongly recommend that if it’s working, don’t mess with it…

When it breaks, then the rules totally change :crazy_face:

2 Likes

…should i install a bluetooth module in my build? I have a MakerX Mini Foc +, which unlike other ESC (i.e. Unity) doesn’t come with a BT integrated. my thinking is that id do this to be able to programme my ESC without having to take everything apart…good idea or not?

(and if I SHOULD get a BT module, which one is good…i can only see FS ones…?)

Get the BLE for TCP bridge feature, so program ur vesc using the vesc tool pc version which has a better UI (I’m just rephrasing what @b264 would say :crazy_face:)

Not sure where u at, but bkb also sells BLE module.

2 Likes

im in the UK so BKB is not possible. only one i can see is this , and i try to avoid FS electrionics if poss…any other options for EU folk?

the BKB stock the FS ones…would rather try another brand

Get a metr (soon metr can) or a infinity logger (iLogger)

How would one fight this? Remove it or stop it from spreading.

4 Likes

This might be big dumb, but do you need an XT90-S when connecting your battery to a Stormcore 60D? Or can a regular xt90 be used?

1 Like

pretty much all nrf51 will work, if u want a even better feature BLE, metr or ilogger is also an option like @xsynatic said, both also support programming the vesc.

all stormcores already has anti spark built in, but it doesn’t hurt to have xt90s on ur battery as well. just remember to plug it in firmly

Edit: 100S may or may not has an anti spark built in, please double check once its released officially

4 Likes

Trampa one is good

Buy another brand that does not engrave their damn logo deep on the can

2 Likes

you could rub it down with gun oil to remove the rust and then just keep the can oiled, maybe put on a layer of clear coat?

1 Like

I can’t see the benefits of the extra functionality, but if they are more reliable then I’ll get them.

i don’t have the ilogger, but my metr module is crazy :eyes: ymmv but i have confidence in it

2 Likes