Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

…speaking of Gbomb. what do people think of the fiber glass brackets, the ‘Glass Drop’…solid enough for esk8?

2 Likes

I personally think they look super dope. I’ve never had them personally because they’re kinda expensive but if I did have them, I’d use them mostly on street builds. They became widely known when sofu used them on her Haya build

1 Like

sofu’s build used the steel/alu ones, and they are quite a bit more expensive than these. ive not seen anyone use these fiberglass ones though, perhaps because of fear they are too weak.

1 Like

sorry to spam the noob thread, im self isolating after coming back from holiday…p
what is the motor cage in this drive-train that protects the motors when you lean it against a wall? …basically could someone ID these motor mounts =D

1 Like

Will a VESC be damaged if you freewheel at high speed? If you freewheel so that the motors go above the max erpm is that bad?

Janux Dual Motor Mounts with crossbars, the ones in your picture have SurfRodz adapters.
I don’t think these are being produced anymore (based on this Janux-esk8 is moving away from diy business.) so you best bet would be to find them 2nd hand.
https://www.janux-esk8.com/product-page/janux-dual-motor-mount-with-stabilizing-crossbars-raw-finish

1 Like

thank you…out of stcok -(

Janux has stopped producing products though, I believe he started working for a company.

5 Likes

@bollen is there a similar product i can get in the eu? (simialr level of craftsmanship)

Not actually sure if anyone sells mounts with the crossbars outside.
You can get the Dickyho mounts with crossbar from Anubis (nexusboards.co.uk) that are very good (but maybe not as high quality).

1 Like

ok. thank you. i know anubis =D

How would one fix or repair this kind of damage?
Fill it with wood epoxy and redrill?

2 Likes

The right fix is …

• peel back the grip tape
  • route a pocket the depth of damaged material
  • insert a puck sanded to size with wood glue
  • sand flat
  • redrilled hole and countersink
  • reapply grip tape

The short fix is …

• cover the bottom with tape
  • flood with epoxy
  • redrill hole
8 Likes
1 Like

Assuming you do not have ridiculously high kv motors, nothing will happen.
It is in fact recommended before starting up for the day to make sure that if something was about to go, it goes without you eating asphalt. It’s also easy to isolate suspicious sounds this way

If you’re on 4.xx hardware vesc, you’ll be fine up to 12s battery and 200kv (but brake with a full battery pack at your own risk!)

Now, if you go downhill at above the speed you geared the board to do, you will most likely lose brakes until you manage to foot brake under 95% duty cycle

2 Likes

Drill into it, put glue in the hole, hammer in a maple dowel and let dry. Next day, cut or sand it flush and redrill hole like it never happened.
This is what I do at work when I mess up a countersink

3 Likes

Just highlighting this again

6 Likes

In my experience its incredibly difficult to do this at all, once I reach duty cycle limit the VESCs generally throw -10 or -15 motor amps to stay within that limit.

I’m just scared that I’ll fuck it up and make the hole useless.

So make the hole bigger than it is (?),put wood glue (?) in it and stuff it with a dowel. and continue eith sanding and redrilling etc

1 Like

like, the vescs apply the brake on its own? im sorry if this is a stupid question :laughing: