Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

If you can wait, Bestech, LLT, and battery supports/supower battery are commonly used from what I’ve seen.

Got a link? I have no problem waiting since I can’t charge the battery cells anyways :upside_down_face:

yep:
http://www.bestechpower.com/
http://www.batterysupports.com/
https://www.lithiumbatterypcb.com/
I wouldn’t know where to get one of those fancy smart bms’s though, unless they sell some on those sites

1 Like

Thanks.

1 Like

Noob question time: so if I need a 10s BMS for a samsung 35E 5p (40A), do I need the BMS to be 50A?

I seen the other forums about it but its not very clear.

I’m confused about the whole “controller load” thing.

Are you planning on wiring the BMS for discharge or bypass? Also, for more battery related questions and topics I recommend this thread as well: The battery builders club

1 Like

The pack can deliver peaks of 65a. I’d say if you’re using the bms for discharge, 60a should be fine. Just make sure your esc is set to the correct values so your bms doesn’t cut you off

2 Likes

Checked there. Nothing about load. Just how to build, which i know. Just not the bms load stuff.

He meant you’ll get a more direct answer by asking there. This is more of a general noob section. Battery club has all the cool battery kids in it who regularly check-in

1 Like

thanks. Thats the answer I needed.

Edit: oh, I was trying to see if someone already explained it. My bad.

Haven’t your mama ever told you not to tell strangers where you live :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just a few noob questions from myself.

• What’s unsensored hfi? Or whatever it is. Why is it cool?
  • Is it safe to change motor and battery settings on a Unity using the Metro Pro Unity module?
  • Can I run unsensored HFI on my Unity? Or is it a vesc tool thing?
2 Likes

High Frequency Injection (used to determine rotor position for the ESC)

don’t need sensors, makes kewl start-up noise

YES and YES
you can use HFI on Unity Hardware but you must install VESC FW (5.01 at a minimum)

3 Likes

God this is even worse, but how do you do that? Dont I need to do that using Vesc tool?

1 Like

yup…
and don’t do it by Bluetooth it will take FOREVER…

and if you choose to go down this rabbit hole it’s not the best to jump from 23.46 Unity to Vesc FW 5.01 it will take forever…

upload like 3.6~ vesc firmware and then jump to FW5~

there’s lots of info out there and I have a board or two on Unity, and a few boards on FW5~
if you don’t need HFI, it’s really not a NEED, especially with the wonky motor thermal filtering… Unity app is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier to use… the VESC fone app is really not very user friendly at all…

5 Likes

So it’s not worth being one of the cool kids. Thanks you’re smarticles!

4 Likes

How do you guys storage charge an esk8 with a BMS?

Doesn’t it work the same way as keeping your esk8 around 50% voltage or lower (3.4-3.6v)? I’ve done that with mine and had no issues. Just make sure you don’t have it too low, it might not turn back on.

Looking at you, boosted.

Edit: if you meant discharge to storage, there’s a link somewhere…

Then you’re wasting our time and your time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I’m going to assume Antarctica and every answer will be

"It’s not practical for you to build an esk8 :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: "

2 Likes

4.2 (VESC-Tool 2.03) is when HFI debuted, if I recall. I know some of the 4.x versions had it for a brief moment

It did predate the 5.0 update

1 Like