Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’ve noticed this clicking sound when riding, and I can’t seem to figure out what it is. I thought it was the motor pulley so I went back and loctited the grub screws but I can still hear it. Any ideas?
1 Like

Does the sound persist when spinning the motors with no belts?
Can you hand spin all the bearings in the wheels setup (including pulley bearing if there) smoothly?
Is the wheel pulley sitting tight on the wheeel hub?
Also, since in looks like a flipshit motor: can you move the can across the shaft and/or sideways? Can you feel it move/hear it click?

2 Likes

It only happens when I accelerate. I will try without the belt. All the bearings seem to run smooth, and it doesn’t affect the ride, but I know that noise isn’t normal

1 Like

It is a TB motor

Just tested without a belt and it sounds perfect so maybe it has to do with the wheel

3 Likes

So. if you got this DRV fault. on a focbox 1.7 on a 10s board that’s been fine for quite some time, but then recently blew a fet on it’s other focbox, and now the remaining one throws this DRV fault what do you do? throw out the VESC in fear :confused: ?

Looks like something is shorting. Phases maybe? Motor? Something fucky in the fets? Who knows

Tighten the wheel+pulley setup in there without a belt and hand spin now.
Tip: if you don’t use spacers between all bearings bad things happen (that includes pulley bearing if it’s there)

2 Likes

Now it sounds like there is something loose in the motor but I can’t hear it without the belt, so I’m not sure. I will tighten the wheel pulley

1 Like

Sometimes the wheel pulley “lip” rubs in just the wrong way to the wheel core around the wheel bearing. The smallest bit of grease on the places the pulley touches the wheel is a temporary fix.

Also could be play in the motor shaft. Tighter belts will make the problem a lot worse in time!

1 Like

Ugh I don’t even know. This is still all new to me. The motor doesn’t make noises when by itself and neither does the wheel, but when I put a belt on the noise comes back

1 Like

Simulate by hand the force the belt is applying. You will discover what exactly clicks eventually, just don’t break things (yet).

For me one time it was wheel pulley (bolt on) clicking on wheel hub. Too tight.
One time already messed up motors from belts too tight.
And lastly from overtightening some pneumatic wheels with no bearing spacer inside. Bearing was locking up randomly and grinding the shaft.
Take your time and discover

2 Likes

When I freespin the wheel there is a less settle clicking sound but its very faint. When I freespin the wheel with the belt and motor I can hear the clicking sound.

1 Like

Do you think something like connecting both vescs through CAN, then the battery, then the antispark would not conjure any sparks?

My initial though is maybe it’s a bearing issue? But I’m new to this too, so don’t take my word for it

1 Like

belt too tight?

2 Likes

So I was cutting down the caliber II trucks when I noticed this on the axle:

Those “teeth” by where I cut off the extra aluminum. Is this normal? It seems like there were two metal rods joined instead of one solid rod and I don’t know how I feel about it

1 Like

I just loosened the belts since they were a bit too tight

I’m trying to connect a flipsky nrf1 BT to xmatic app. I keep getting “connecting to VESC”. I already configured it using Unity Tool app. I clicked on PPM and UART and set Baud to 9600. I’m not getting data but when I clicked back on Unity BT I’m getting data. Any help thanks in advance

Yes that’s normal

4 Likes