Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I don’t need it. but man do I want it. it’s so stealthy. I think what I need is light for store trips. the carry through a store and still be able to carry what I’m purchasing aspect is what i like…

4 Likes

Please help!!
I ordered a Ownboard bamboo, it came DOA with a defective battery. Blah blah blah… Made a PayPal dispute, PayPal wants documentation that board is defective or a quote for repair.

Where do I go (in Chicago) to get a repair quote on a electric skateboard??
Called electric repair, gadget repair, bike repair :man_shrugging: no one knows what the hell I’m talking about!
Suggestions?? Also I have ten days!! Haha wtf

Film trying to use the board, whatever you can to get your point across. Mention that no service around takes electric skateboards and that’s about all you can do. Include conversations with ownboard if any, showing both of ya acknowledging the issue

2 Likes

What would be a theoretical ballpark number for a deck, battery (12s4p p42A) and enclosure that won’t take 5 months to be delivered?

This, plus it’s adequate range wise for 90% of trips just tooling around town. Down to the remote, it’s the most minimalist solution ever. Only thing to hold a candle is the Exway X1, but in comparison that’ll be heavy, and you’re stuck with the deck.

8AWG is almost never needed in 99.9% of esk8s

I don’t even use 10AWG anymore because it’s just overkill and adds weight imho (on most builds)

Anything but the most powerful racing and offroad boards probably don’t need that

1 Like

After trying that with ABS and kydex — I can fully recommend that if you’re not going to buy an enclosure, then go straight for DIY fiberglass. You won’t regret the decision…

the only question is which kind of fiberglass… which materials, which epoxy, vacuum bag or not… etc

Yes, thats what I opted for now. I made a mistake buying the fiberglass mat. So I will use the cloth for a better enclosure.

Sorry if I missed something, but how do you use dickyho’s kegel pulleys pressfit style?

Hey kids.

On a Focbox Unity. Running off of the latest vesc tool firmware.

Push to start is built in.

My question is do I need to have the switch button plugged into to the Unity?

Or can I leave the switch out all together?

I think you’d need to jump the momentary pins to bypass it but try spinning up the wheels by hand a bunch and see if you can get roll to start to work

1 Like

Speak to @glyphiks is a epoxy/glass whisperer. my only advice first few builds use quality brand epoxy like west systems 5xx, once you understand the substance you can change to a generic. Also using a filler even on glass builds is a game changer less sanding easier to work with.

1 Like

Yep.
Just took the switch out and roll to start worked.
Now let’s wait to see if it turns off…:smiley:

1 Like

default timeout on Unity is 10mins I think (on 23.46, not sure about fw5)

My unity seems to factory reset quite often when the 10min timer runs out and it turns off :man_facepalming:t3:

3 Likes

I have this theory as well. I never try to let my board time out for some reason and the 2 resets I’ve had have both been times where I felt like I forgot to turn it off.

Thanks for mentioning this.

5 Likes

I let the timer run out all the time on my Unitys…

EDIT:
One on Unity FW
the other 2 on FW5.01

2 Likes

Thanks for the call out, I do keep rethinking all of that.

My plan involves 12s5p p42a pack. so that pack itself can deliver all the pixies. The ESC is unity or possibly Dual Escapes. I think they can pull/ handle up to 120amps I likely don’t need to get there.

But i do think 90 amps. ( 45 / side ) is the bar I’d like to hit to at least match my nazare. but I’d like to push beyond that just not sure how far. I have been known to blast uphill 35ish mph 95% duty cycle for 30s to 60s. so I feel that means I should plan for some. very high currents. let’s say 110?

~110A is where the ratings acceptable 109A for 8 gauge or poor for 10 gauge.

but I realize theres a lot more to consider there as over building gets crazy too. it’s not like the unity has 8 guage leads and would I be upgrading those?

experienced viewpoints are welcome.

1 Like

It also depends on t he length of the leads, if everything is short then 10awg is probably fine, if you’re running split enclosures then aim for thicker…I would try to upgrade the Unity if you feel confident (I think it’s an easy job), but at least upgrade to XT90

2 Likes

Suggestions for narrow channel trucks? I think Matrix II are 340mm or so on the hangar so less than that…290mm maybe?