Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Why do you need to take it out? The connection will probably never be as strong after.

3 Likes

I need to replace the motor shaft and the bearings because for some reason there is the slightest amount of movement when I wiggle the shaft. When I push full throttle, it also makes a loud noise that goes away when I release the throttle and slowly accelerate.

1 Like

I have another perfectly working motor and switched around the stator and the cans, the problem moved with this motor can and stator so I think the problem is a combination of the bearings and the motor shaft

Is that a 6396?

Maytech 6374 8mm shaft 190kv

where’d you get a replacement shaft?

movement relative to the can or relative to the stator/motor mount?

Any signs of motor shaft wear.

I haven’t gotten a replacement shaft yet but I am currently talking with someone to salvage their motor shaft from a broken maytech can. I did get in contact with Maytech and they are able to ship over motor shafts for $15 each but shipping is expensive. Maybe you wanna set up something with me so we can order in one purchase and pay less for shipping?

As for the wiggle in the shaft, it is moving relative to the stator. It doesn’t wiggle on the can itself but within the stator. I saw your motor shaft thread and checked it out on mine but my caliper wasn’t giving me any off readings on the bearing closer to the end of the shaft where you would put the pulley. I need to remove the shaft to measure the closer side to the can. Visually, I can’t see any wear but I’m pretty positive that there is some form of wear

1 Like

I might be interested.

I think you would be able to see it. so perhaps it’s not an issue with your motor shaft.

1 Like

So I have another motor that has no play in the motor shaft and I moved this ‘worn down’ motor shaft with the can over to the perfectly working motor. I got a very slight movement in the shaft on that setup so I think the motor shaft is just ever so slightly beginning to wear down. Hopefully I can prevent it from getting any worse. Do you know how to remove the shaft? Also do you know what bearings these motors use?

I’ll try replacing the bearings first and if the motor shaft doesn’t have a problem. I can forward the motor shaft replacement to you

I have not removed a shaft yet. I’m expecting heat is required. I expect it’s got something like loctite 680/648 style stuff is used in assembly. (and should be used on reassembly. )

I do think replacing the shaft has lots of things that can go wrong. it’s got to be parallel with the can and solidly conected. so. yeah exausting any other options first is probably best.

2 Likes

I would just say “why do you want to do that” and it pisses me off when I ask “how to do something” and people say “why” so that’s why I didn’t respond.

I was hoping someone else knew how …

3 Likes

:joy: All good. I think I’ll hold off on removing the shaft for now and just replace the bearings on monday when they get in. I bought the uxcell bearings that you recommended on one of your motor repair threads. How do they work for you? I looked at the reviews on amazon and people are complaining about the inner diameter being off

If the joint between the can and the shaft is the source of the wiggle, then replacing the shaft won’t help. The can’s hole is wobbled out, and a new shaft won’t fix that.

With regards to removing the shaft, once all the setscrews (there are often two) are removed, the shaft can be removed with a press or other similar tool. Just support the can, and push on the shaft until it comes out.

4 Likes

Luckily its not the joint in between the can adn the shaft. Its when the stator is on and I wiggle the shaft that the wiggling can be felt. Ive narrowed it down to either the motor shaft worn down or the bearings’ inner diameter being slightly larger than 8mm. Im replacing the bearings and then I’ll see if the wiggling persists

2 Likes

Best of luck!

1 Like

Keep the bms and make a new battery. I’ve had a yuneec and they’re pretty good starters.

Here’s what’s left of mine

And for future reference to anyone asking, the screws are under the grip tape. They connect into the orange plastic through the board

2 Likes

Ok stupid question time: what is the best way to remove epoxy and frit from a deck 40mins with a sander and 6x 60 grit pads only managed to get 50% off. Will paint striper or heat gun work?

normal sk8 bearings are 8mm ID… chuck one of those on the shaft and check your wiggle-wiggle where the bearing would be located… or perhaps a vernier caliper would assist your science??

4 Likes

It depends on the epoxy and the paint stripper.

Epoxy cures by a chemical reaction and becomes a thermoset plastic, so it’s generally very resistant to most solvents. I’d just start trying different ones on small patches and see if any have a good effect.

TLDR it’s gonna suck either way.

2 Likes