Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

1 Like

What foam is the best to use for the enclosure, I’m currently adding a thin layer of high density EVA foam on the bottom and one on the bottom of the board to seal the enclosure and add some padding on the batteries, have a thicker foam that’ll be around the lipos, do I need to worry about the foam catching on fire when the boards in use due to the batteries heating up

If the pack gets hot enough to ignite any foam then you have much, much bigger problems than the foam igniting. Your cells will certainly be on fire, pretending they’re model rocket engines. :slightly_smiling_face:

The foam shouldn’t even get hot. In fact, your pack should never even get past a bit warm as that would mean the cells in the center of the pack were already getting pretty hot.

Any closed-cell foam (to not absorb water in case it gets in) that does not “set” (stay compressed) can work as long as it compresses to about 50% when the pack is bouncing around. Much less compression than that and the foam is probably too stiff, transmitting more vibration to the pack. Much more compression than that and the foam could “bottom out” and the pack hit the enclosure.

2 Likes

yep

Some people use silicon for their packs, I see absolutely zero point in going through that pain, when you can just use black hotglue

your pack should NEVER get hot enough to melt hot glue

1 Like

Anyone know if this is true?

2 Likes

thx…I guess it is true, lol

On the website of lacroix they wrote that the range of their board varies with the gearing, with the same battery, esc and motors. Why does a higher teeth number on the motor pulley increase my range? (It´s about belt drive btw.)

Short answer: it shouldn’t change that much

Long answer:
larger motor pulley → less belt flexing → less resistance → slightly higher range
larger motor pulley → motor has to spin less fast for the same speed → decreased core losses → slightly higher range
smaller motor pulley → less motor current needed to accelerate at the same pace → slightly higher range
smaller motor pulley → smaller top speed → less wind resistance → slightly higher range

Maybe there’s other factors I’m forgetting. But yeah, it can go either way, although usually it’s the higher speed and decrease in acceleration per current that end up being the largest factors, so range usually tends to go down as you increase the motor pulley size.

3 Likes

Why don’t we use ferrite rings on phase leads?

Because as far as I can tell, they’re generally unnecessary?
Why do you think we should be using ferrite rings on phase leads?

1 Like

Well it would prevent Crosstalk but I’ve asked @b264 about this and he claims crosstalk is a non-issue, and I can confirm that as my phase lease are tightly zip-tied together and I’m not getting crosstalk issues.

I am using some 6368 motors on an Odrive and without the rings it just doesn’t connect to the computer

I’ve had some response issues with the ODrive, and using a USB isolator and the ferrite ring seemed to help. The power leads could be shorter, but I didn’t bother messing with those after it started working with the ring and isolator.

1 Like

We are planning on going from USB to CAN and hoping it stops cutting out

1 Like

Do you happen to know the mounting hole diameter and PCB thickness on the 3.6?

Hello guys,

My mates having a problem with his board and I was hoping the more experienced might know what’s up. Under acceleration it often cuts out for maybe half a second and starts accelerating again. Mainly under quite high load. He’s running FSESC 4.12’s still, about 80A per side motor current (above rated but they don’t seem to want to die). Does it sound like a maximum motor current issue or maybe something different?
Interetingly only happens in forwards, not reverse

Cheers.

Seems high current for a fsesc 4 to me.

But also could be bad phase wire connections.

When the cutouts happen, don’t turn off the board, go home plug it into the vesc tool and search the console for faults. Maybe it’s abs_overcurrent

1 Like

What is the safest and best way to clean a hub motor and make it run like new again?