Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I’m considering taking my busted tbdd’s, bolting them to a table, and using them as a sanding station. But im kinda stupid, so, there’s that. How would I go about doing that in a cheap, and preferably uncomplicated way? Can I even run them off of a wallplug? If I don’t care about variable speed, could I run them with a simple on off switch, instead of an esc? Is this even worth the effort?

You can’t, but you could use a really cheap ESC like an old VESC 4.12

You’d still need a transformer, some diodes, and a capacitor to step down the wall voltage to a DC value like 40 volts ish. Or a battery and a charger, preferably keeping it around 50% SOC

Yeah I kinda figured xD
If I buy an esc it’s goin in a board, so I probably will not pursue this route.

You could use a super-cheap non-esk8 ESC (like one for RC planes). No bells and whistles, no extra features, just apply power and throttle signal, and it spins. You can get a “RC servo tester” for a few bucks that will generate the throttle signal for you.

If you don’t need them to run at super high speed, a hacked computer PSU will provide lots of current, but only at 12 volts. 24/36/48 volt power supplies can also be had, but usually not as cheap.

5 Likes

Hey guys, snow is almost gone here and I can’t wait to get back on the board.

I spotted a really good price for a second hand (apparently brand new) stormcore 60d+ and 2x 20k lipos on our craigslist equivalent. He sent me a few pics and everything looks good visually.

Any tips to make sure I avoid any (hidden) issues? I’m thinking about bringing a laptop to connect the 60d into the vesc software. I don’t have the necessary wiring to connect motors though. I know the 60d+ is regarded as one of the better vesc (I think?) I just want to make sure I’m not buying a DOA device.

Same thing for the lipos, I’ll make sure they are balanced and check the Internal resistance on the spot.

1 Like

Check that it connects like you planned, and also do this

None of those should be low resistance

1 Like

If you have an android device, you can just use the vesc tool app. Stormcores have Bluetooth. Make sure he has the button and you can just plug in one of the lipos.

Buying lipos second hand is a bit more… sketchy. You have no way of knowing how many cycles are on them and how much they’ve been mistreated besides internal resistance.

2 Likes

If you have three test leads with crocodile clips on either end, you should be able to do a quick sensorless detection and spin test.

3 Likes

Anyone got any ideas, I’m still stuck on problem 1. VX2 remote not showing any battery, amps or speed but appears to be functioning correctly.

All standard setup on remote done correctly. Using on Stormcore 60d+.
S ttings on vesc tool were not correct as I had to switch control type from OFF to Current so very possible something missing in other app settings.

1 Like

Are you using ppm or UART? If on ppm you need to either add TX/RX connections to UART or run a battery sense wire to your battery negative for battery level display.

If it’s just plugged into UART, go to remote settings in VESCTool and set it to “PPM+UART” or if it’s already set to that set it to just UART then reboot the VESC.

Make sure your TX/RX connections are inverted, so TX plugged into RX and vice versa.

Thankyou, have tried but no change. I’m running UART no PPM as this is the only option I have with the VX2 remote. Although, I do now notice that Flipsky have 2 options when purchasing the VX2, one is VESC4 (FOCBOX unity) and the other says VESC6. I have the VESC6 and previously worked with Flipsky esc. It doesn’t say what the difference is though.

I have tried flipping my tx/Rx too and that stops it from working altogether.

I have tried a few other settings to no avail but learnt a few things in the process (like why I don’t want Current bidirectional!)

I’m worried something worse than a remote config issue is happening. I haven’t yet assembled my board so haven’t been able to test yet. I have had one of my hall sensors miss detection a couple of times… Maybe unrelated??

1 Like

I need to buy about 3-5mm of extra depth in this enclosure. Evo, 36 I think? eboosted enclosure. I already have rubber sheets on hand to make a gasket, but do you guys think it’d be a really stupid idea to sand about 1-2mm deep on the deck, where the battery sits, to minimize gasket size? It’s going pneumatic, so clearance shouldn’t be an issue either way, I just want it to be as sleek as I can manage. Without sacrificing integrity, obviously.

If a hummie survives I’m sure yours will, can you wrap the bottom after it’s carved out?

I don’t see why not xD

with the remote in UART mode, if you don’t have the proper battery settings programmed in you won’t get an accurate reading but you should still get a reading.

AFAIK the only difference between the VESC4 and VESC6 variants of the VX2 is a 6p or 7p JST plug and the swapping of TX/RX.

Current Bidirectional is meant for things like eFoils and other prop control where “brake” isn’t really brake you need reverse to “brake”

have you gone into the remote settings on the VX2 it’s self and tried different ESC setting options? there shoul be one that cycles through “FSESC, FOCBOX and VESC” or something like that.

Battery settings are good. But even so I would expect the speed and km’s travelled to display.

I’ve tried switching the remote between FSESC and FOC which are the only two options and that didn’t make any difference.

I mentioned earlier that I am replacing the blown esc that this remote receiver was plugged into. I wonder if there is a component on the receiver that handles the telemetry data that could be damaged? If that is the likely cause I could order a replacement from Flipsky

I doubt it but contacting Flipsky about it is still a good course of action. I’ve had these issues but usually they’re resolved by going through settings permutations until you get it right. Is the baudrate set correctly?

I’ve got everything packed away right now. But checked the vesc tool on my computer and settings on there show 115200 which matches what Flipsky say on their site for the VX2. Will recheck later but from memory the vesc tool shows you your last config when you open it up again.

1 Like

I’ve just sent a 2nd email to flipsky, no reply from the last one yet :frowning:

1 Like

No, but that’s the default baudrate in new versions of VESCTool