Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

So how would one set a speed limit?

Concert from miles / hour to RPM and multiply by 7

Duty cycle limit.
This doesn’t work for setting a different speed in reverse than in forward though, because there aren’t separate settings for duty cycle in forward and reverse.

2 Likes

Thankfully I don’t find my reverse too fast, but I want to config a proper speed-limited mode, thanks for this.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to connect Evan Vesc to Vesc tool app? Plz tell me how.

Even if you could safely apply brakes, the VESC will refuse to apply them if your rotor is over your set ERPM limit. That’s the hard freewheel speed and the VESC will not attempt to do anything while exceeding it…

That’s why you shouldn’t limit speeds with ERPM limits, unless it’s a propeller.

To limit top speed on VESC, check this out.

2 Likes

Oh that’s clever

I limited a high power/speed board to like 17mph (27km/h) when my niece borrowed the board one day using this exact method. It works fantastically.

I’mma be doing that tomorrow, I got a board with bindings and 87a bushings that goes 36 mph, that’s a no for me :joy:

1 Like

Well I mean you could just not go as fast, but with children that trust isn’t there :rofl:

Plus I want to be able to skate faster than the kid so I can always keep up

1 Like

Sorry, I do not know but I wanted to welcome you and say Hello!

2 Likes

Thanks a ton, that’s super helpful!

2 Likes

I have a bad habit of full sending right out the gate, if the motor doesn’t start slowing down around the 25 MPH mark some pour soul from the volunteer fire department is gonna be scraping me off the back of a UPS van or something outside of a Grotto’s Pizza

1 Like

You should probably limit your top speed then “for higher range” and definitely not because you can’t be trusted with a high top end :rofl:

BTW it can increase range, sometimes by a lot

Highest efficiency is at 80% duty cycle right?

I don’t remember; sounds about right. For VESC.

But also wind resistance is proportional to the square of airspeed.

Also, accelerating up to speed just to stop at a signal is also a range killer, better to limit speed between those and/or accelerate slowly

Perks of being light and skinny is I already get pretty good range, but my route to class is stop and go every 200 feet for 2 miles and it’s abysmal for efficiency, easy extra 50% farther if I cruise down the canal

1 Like

I assume you mean Eovan not Evan, because that’s all I get with a quick google.
If that be the case, it states right on their website “You will be able to set up your board by just remote, no need VESC tool anymore.”
I’d guess that means they don’t intend for you to use vesc tool, since they’re trying to make their own proprietary thing out of it.

Other than that, there’s not really much info floating around about them, and I haven’t used one. Try asking them?

I got a pretty quick and helpful response on their live chat on the website when I inquired about the motors.

1 Like

When does JB Weld fully cure? I’ve got epoxy from 1/2/3 days ago and they are all different colors (older is darker)