Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

range comes from ur total Wh. same amount of cells should theoretically give u very similar range

Well 16s4p has more cells so higher total watt hours so more range, also higher voltage is faster and more efficient so even more range and better top end which improves efficiency further

Catch is you need a high voltage ESC like a uBox, Stormcore 100D, or Trampa 75xxx. Also less torque

However if you change the gear ratio the speed and torque thing means nothing

1 Like

Seems the 12S5P can operate at +30amps continuous over the 16S4P.

Is +16V > +30a ?

There’s also a difference of ~60wh and ~500w output.

Volts has little to do with range but 64 cells is more range than 60 cells, that’s for sure. It’s also 7% heavier.

1 Like

Personally I’d do 16s, the system will run cooler and you have better performance overall

1 Like

The biggest problem with moving up to a higher voltage will be a far fewer number of controllers you will be able to use, and those controllers might waste more energy as heat than the 60V controllers will. However the rest of the system besides the controller should run cooler overall. And the controller might not run hotter.

It’s very complicated really.

Your enclosure holding a 8x8 grid of cells is likely reason enough to use 16S.

If you’re doing a good order of operations, then this won’t be any problem at all:

2 Likes

Glad I asked :blush:

Ty👍 @ZachTetra

1 Like

What cells are you using?

Plan on using P42A cells.

You could do 12s6p P26A instead

1 Like

That would be more amps at 180a?, continuous. But also with -300wh than the 16S4P’s 967wh and 120a continuous…

I definitely want more range at this point.

Aren’t there a fewer number of motors one would be able to use on 16S?

1 Like

Well maybe but the bigger issue is that a lower Kv motor will have a higher winding resistance which is going to burn off more energy as heat inside the motor.

I see

The best you can do is high voltage, max out the safe erpm limit, and solve the rest with gearing

I’m running 15s 190kv motors and I get it down to 40 mph top end with 145/150mm tires and a 1:3.95 great reduction

3 Likes

thanks for the help.

I had to make a PPM cable, this is the pinout:
Reciever Channel 2:
GND-5V-Sig

:innocent: my bad, I have a terrible sense of humor and, for some reason, often feel the need to speak like my mom and dad have the same mom and dad or something along those lines.

I wasn’t home to measure but when I did get down to it what I did was just wrap painters tape around like a belt then seent how many mm that was being. I like to visualize things plus my brain compartments and departments that think thoughts or whatever ain’t near good as yours is…

Be aware that since belts are significantly thicker than tape, the tape will sit closer to the center of the pulleys, and give you a smaller circumference of warp than a true belt will. This can add 5 to 10+mm of length to the whole system, so keep that in mind.

2 Likes

When I say screenshot, I mean the entire window, not just those fields you’ve edited. I’m looking at other details you may have truncated here.

Some of the things I am looking for are not in the screenshots.

there’s nothing truncated, those were all of the entry lines in the window, what’s cut out is just the 2 sidebars and menu bar