Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Arrgghhh…you’re right! I have corrected my post. Thank you.
The Samsung wouldn’t fit the “Panasonic” or “Tesla” cell description though.

Perhaps possible but, evidently, just not with acceptable cycle life?

2 Likes

That’s also what I suspect.

1 Like

Ok so apparently boosted scalpers are a serious problem. Who knew. The handshake protocol afaik is between bms and esc, but i cant find any evidence of anyone running other motors on boosted tech. So imma end up taking this shit apart and seeing exactly what these motors are, but, does anyone have confirmed proof of any other motors working on a boosted esc/battery? Im probably going to just suck up the headache and replace the connectors, but i mean if any old 5055 with a higo/julet 9 pin works id happily pay for less headache.

So has anyone used this adapter that allows using hypertruck bushings on a matrix 2 or a 3d printed version of it?

So the last parts of my board will arrive soon-ish and there is something I am wondering about: Say I have a board with a 12s8p battery and I only want to charge it to 90% so I can use regenerative braking as I live on a fairly large hill.
Is there any way to do this automatically? BMS settings, ESC settings, a 11s charger? Or can I just have a look now and again and unplug it at 90?

I feel like a salesman since I’ve mentioned these things often, but the Meanwell HLG power supplies have adjustable voltage and current outputs, so you could set it to 90%

1 Like

Thanks, ordered one! :slight_smile:

1 Like

They also don’t turn off…

1 Like

Lol how has nobody commented on the description “fat cells” :rofl:

1 Like

Can anyone give me some tips on soldering motor wires (10awg with 5.5 bullet) to the esc pads? I am re-doing them as I don’t trust what I had previously (done by me). Should I tin the wires then try to solder to board while wires are wet, or should I make the pads wet and push the wires in. Very uncertain with temp settings too, I can go up to 450c

Tin both the wire and the pad. I like to tin the wire a little extra. Kind of give it a little droplet of solder hanging. Place the wire on pad and then the solder on wire. Heat should flow through the wire then the pad creating a nice solder.

450 should be enough. I use 400 and have no issues (ts100 solder).

3 Likes

After tinning both surfaces should I add extra flux? Thanks for the reply!

I never do, just make sure you have a little fresh solder on your tip. Try and keep heat to the wires for as little time as possible to avoid the solder wicking up into the insulated area

4 Likes

Also, a clean tip will heat faster. Don’t let your tips oxidize. And always keep them shiny and clean and sticking to solder.

2 Likes

J0ker and Glyphiks’ advice are both solid. Depending on how powerful your iron is (and how much thermal mass it has), the process can either be pretty fast and painless, or nearly impossible. A chunky tip with at least 50 watts behind it is recommended.

Like they said above, once both the pad and the wire are wetted with solder, you should be able to just set the wire on the pad, maybe add a bit of extra solder to your iron for better thermal contact, and just mush the iron down onto the wire, against the pad. The iron will melt the solder on the wire, which will then melt the solder on the pad, and they should flow together nicely.

To avoid any undue wicking of the solder up the wire under the insulation, it’s a good idea to use a relatively high temperature to get good fast thermal transfer. The faster you’re done, the less time there is for heat to travel up the wire, and for solder to follow the heat. A pair of hemostats or any other similar thing can also be clamped around the wire to suck heat out of it and prevent the solder from flowing that way.

4 Likes

I tried to find answer but with no luck.

should it be counting as 5 nickel strips per 1 series?

its 0.2mm x 0.8mm = ~14A and multiplied by 5 = 70Amps?

Correct

I appreciate your help wise man :pray:

What’s the durometer of MBS matrix 2 shock blocks?

In particular what are the yellow and orange ones?

Can anybody comment on ride quality of Haggy Kahuas vs boardnamics current offerings?

If anybody happens to know those who have ridden both, would appreciate you tagging them here for visibility.

1 Like