Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

@noflers Idk about what MBS uses, but standard skate hardware is either m5 thread size, or 10-32 if you have imperialist tendencies. For specs of specific types of fasteners I would use McMaster carr (Google it) if you’re state side, it’s a great place to buy stuff (although some items are pretty pricey on there) They also provide cad models for most of their products, so you you can put their parts into your assemblies super easily.

1 Like

MBS uses the old school pattern, so conveniently it matches just about every other longboard truck out there.

is this the equivalent of 12 awg cable? its the closest i could find but the inside of it looks like multiple copper strands instead of one big strand

I got this in a PM

All the cable we use are stranded. Solid is pretty much rigid and only really used in housing construction. Cross section wise that should be slightly closer to 11AWG.

Looks like PVC insulation, so be careful when soldering as it tends to melt and burn unlike silicone wire.

4 Likes

Chart says it’s bigger than 12AWG

This is not the flavour of wire you want to use for esk8 though. You want silicone-insulated super-stranded (like around 500-1000 strand count) wire. AliExpress has a lot. Check out these

1 Like

but will it work fine? i need to use it for some extensions from battery to esc

I have an interesting proposition for truck design. Instead of having the bushing on either side of a hanger, what if you had a 0.95" hole in the hanger with a 0.375" bolt so that (the hanger is basically just a tube concentric to the king pin) so that you can put a single barrel bushing in and turning warps the bushing? @RipTideSports got any thoughts?

1 Like

That’s is not the flavour of wire you want to use for esk8. You also want to minimize battery cable lengths.

Provide a photograph for more advice

1 Like

That’s a good idea.

I worry about it not having strong return to center though

1 Like

well the battery has xt60 and esc xt90, i need to make an adapter using that cable, also i might have to extend the motor phase wires if they end up being too short when i mount the enclosure

Isn’t that how Rojas trucks work? They work by stretching urethane rather than the regular compression we’re used to.

Here’s a rough prototype design, does this make more sense? It’s made to use a standard Riptide Krank

5 Likes

actually ill just put a line of solder from connector to connector no need for cable

Ah that makes more sense. I’m curious where all the deflected material would go though when you turn.

It would probably squish around to the other side of the pin

2 Likes

I think it would just wear down over time and end up getting cut on the kingpin/wall

1 Like

I think it would work.

1 Like

Use copper, don’t be an idiot

1 Like

Oh that’s a fair point, working once doesn’t mean viable. Also designing trucks is hard, I keep going back to something similar to Apex airs lol

1 Like