Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

If your charger is sparking then it’s a shitty charger. The solution is a better charger.

edit: @BenjaminF is probably correct. Did you plug the charger into the board before you plugged it into the wall? Don’t do it that way.

I don’t have a dedicated charger yet, was planning on building one but still waffling between an XT60 or XT90 port on the charger. XT90 would match the existing hardware, but XT60 is cheaper and sized more appropriately, but also lacks the AS, which is what I wasn’t sure about. I’m 70% sure on having the BMS removable, so in theory the end wouldn’t matter regardless, but hey compatibility.

Sorry, I don’t have any recommendations. I build all the ones I use. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

XT30 would be my pick

2 Likes

XT60 is the smallest the manufacturer has without going to weirder ones like XLR and alligator clips, and I have a bunch of XT60s and 16AWG left over from other stuff and no XT30s so I think it’s the best option at the moment.

There’s an extensive list of converters in here:

5 Likes

Be careful with that style. There’s a bunch of fakes on ebay/aliexpress etc.

2 Likes

Then just change the connector :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Why dose this matter at AS is to stop the Inrush current from connecting things like capacitors why do you want this on a battry charger

Why do you want to use a 90A conector on I’m guessing a 5A charger. Is that not massive overkill

Would you want to plug you charger in to your loop key? I’m parity sure that would damage your charger. Surly a difrebt conector stoping you even trying would make more sense.

I went for this thing in the end

I don’t hope dhl can have it at my door by saturday from hong kong but there’s next week as well…

As for running multiple in parallel, in theory they all end up producing the same heat, just spread out over 3 pcb’s instead of one. Maybe i’ll end up making a wind tunnel under the battery box for them and try not to roll in mud like a pig from then on.

The decent ones are like £60 a piece and don’t look like they’re meant to be used by the average diy guy. Even found one at £412 with some fancy certifications

1 Like

That was answered earlier, the original question was whether it mattered or not.

That’s actually the point, the only thing that uses XT90 is the board, while my other batteries use smaller connectors like XT60. Plugging a charger straight into the board is unlikely to damage anything if the battery is already balanced, while plugging any of my other batteries into the charger would blow them up immediately due to massive overvoltage and overcurrent. Having XT90 makes it inherently incompatible with any of my smaller batteries.

Either way if it goes according to plan the charger should never be disconnected from the BMS in the first place, so it shouldn’t actually matter what connector is used. Could be soldered on for all I care, but modularity is nice.

Fairly certain i have the “real deal”, just that the lacroix lights are really noisy and consume 2A total. That thing commits suicide in 10 minutes at half an amp with no heatsink

1 Like

The efficiency vs output curves for these things can be pretty wild so logically that makes sense but in reality 2x BECs running in parallel close to their efficiency peaks can generate much less total heat than one heavily loadrd one plus:

If there’s double the surface area you get significantly lower temps at each one to expel the same amount of heat (it’s not linear because heat transfer is a logarithmic function of temp), but I’m actually not sure how relevant that is in a closed(ish) system like an enclosure. The limit is likely going to be the trapped air to atmotpshere junction rather than the heatsink to air junction, maybe someone else can clarify that. It’s mentioned in the video I linked above that those BECs are often designed for RC planes with a LOT of airflow so some will just be unsuitable outside of tiny current draws

Sounds good. @Boardnamics can you confirm? With the Evolve pulley on TB 110 wheel it’s about 13mm from the pulley-facing surface of the wheel bearing to the seat of the pulley bearing. Since a bearing is about 6mm wide the evolve pulley takes up about 20mm of axle length.
Does a Boardnamics pulley take up less length?

I have one of those on hand. Kind of tricky measuring it but your numbers sound right.

My kegel pulleys take up a spacer (5mm length) and a bearing (7mm length). Certainly less than that pulley.

Also for what it’s worth, mine spin more concentric and will last longer :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Can you identify a noise from this non descript video?

Been trying to locate this rattle, everything inside the enclose is either secured with velco, battery has silicone underneath and on the sides, all cables secured and not free to move, I can take the enclosure off, turn it upside and shake it and nothing goes anywhere, any idea what could be making this noise?

On the smooth road it’s silent, over cracks or on rough street it makes the noise

Enclosure has a rubber gasket and is tightened down, don’t think it can be the truck bushings or washers?

Cool I’m looking at the “ABEC/Kegel Press Fit Wheel Pulley” and I have two more questions:

The TB110 wheel has ten holes. Is that ABEC or Kegel?

The Evolve pulley is 38T and the motor pulley is 15T. I see your “ABEC/Kegel Press Fit Wheel Pulley” comes in 36T and 40T flavors. I’m noticing now my 290 belts won’t actually work with the Evolve pulley and Boardnamics motor mount since the mount is not as long as the old one.
Which pulley would you recommend and which belt to go with my boardnamics mount and 15T motor pulley?

TB110 is Kegel core. I highly recommend the 40T pulley size because TB110 are big wheels and that will give you the extra torque you need. Also, 15/40 and a 290mm will fit so it saves you from buying a new belt.

1 Like

May have figured it, i had the cells glued together and then heat shrinked and then wrapped in tape,
i think the tape and shrink may not have been tight enough so even though the tape was siliconed to the bottom of the enclosure the cells still had some movement up and down within the shrink and tape.

Just cut away the tape and wrap from the bottom of the cells and will stick them straight to the enclosure, will see if that was it tomorrow…

1 Like

look at those personnaly I ordered 3 since the price is not obsurd idk if it’s good quality yet tho

1 Like