Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

If using that stuff too just do it in a well ventilated area or outside the fumes seem pretty nasty on the plus side it dries pretty fast.

1 Like

I actually now prefer the MG Chemicals #419D for electronics and MG Chemicals #4223 for big wires and connectors

and MG Chemicals #4228 for motors unless they’re getting the better battle-hardening treatment

2 Likes

17 bucks a good price?

the MG Chemicals #4223 is liquid tape i assume?

1 Like

What does happen if there’s splash water in the motor and what does happen if there’s much water inside?
I had splash water inside, and it worked flawlessly, and spit the water out when driving like a shaking dog…

Too much water results in shorts between the coils?

Edit: Google says the water isnt a problem for electric stuff that happens inside the motor, but the bearing will suffer corrosion if you don’t relubricate it.
Is that true?

Hi everyone, this is my first post!

I m making plans for my first board, should i post here or open a thread?

I m a mechanical designer with a 3d printer and access to laser cut, I m also lucky to have friendly collegues that could help on making a li-on battery

My plan is to start with a single motor belt build, with a 3d printed enclosure on a cheap longboard i already have, then upgrade to dual motor on a homemade deck if i like the hobby and want to spend more.

I wanted to stay on the cheap side so at first i landed on Flipsky website, but after reading many horror stories i m not sure, i may be more inclined to buy motor and esc from Maytech.

I was thinking to go 6374, FSESC 6.6 or MTSUPERFOC6.8 , 12s2p, VX1 remote, homemade laser-cut motor mount.

Any advice?
Ps:I already have a full helmet and pads :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This is the place for questions, but we have another thread dedicated to introducing yourself and sharing your plans:

2 Likes

Good motor size for a single motor build! For dual motors, 6355 should be enough, but if you already have one 6374, you can go dual 6374 without paying too much of a premium.
Pleas note that this will require wide trucks down the road, so better buy 220mm trucks from the start, I made the mistake not to

A little larger wouldn’t hurt if it fits your budget.

Good luck with that :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile::+1:

ow yeah you’ll also need an antispark
loopkey or antispark thingy

if you want the motor holes on the left lmk
1 Like

Pretty much. Shorts are only an issue if you’re in a seawater environment, and then you have all the extra corrosion that comes with that too.

The real risk of water to motors is corrosion. Bearings, stator laminations, magnets, all are susceptible to corrosion if unprotected. Once the outer nickel plating is breached, the magnets are especially vulnerable. Bearings with rust instead of balls, don’t roll very well either.

3 Likes

I hope you mean laser-cut steel or aluminum, because acrylic ain’t gonna cut it. (pun intended.)

2 Likes

Yeah, and that $17 bottle will last you several dozen boards’ worth of coating.

4223 is good for MR60 connectors where they meet phase wires, and stuff like that

The only thing water does inside a BLDC motor is shorten the bearing lifetime (those can be changed) and destroy the sensor assembly, if present.

I suggest to not use sensors, and if you don’t use them, that means you don’t need to worry about that.

1 Like

Honestly doesn t look like the most difficult part, i ll try to copy others design obviously ahah
I don t know much about electronics, still lurking the forum atm

Yes we make 30+tons machines, we waste so much material i could prob make hundreds every week just cutting it on the “wasted parts”

i ll keep it in mind thanks!

2 Likes

Fair enough. When I hear someone say “laser cut”, I assume generic 30-60w CO2 laser cut plastic, because that’s what’s readily accessible to the average hobbyist.

1 Like

If you were in the market for my kind of build where would you buy?
Most of Flipsky review i found were quite old, is the situation improved? Because that s the cheapest option for sure.
I found Maytech has a better reputation but cost quite more… which brings an other question… why the exact same stuff is much more expensive (especially shipment!) on the Maytech website compared to Aliexpress Maytech official store?
I m from Italy btw

1 Like

Flipshit is the cheapest for a reason.

Good
Cheap
Easy

Pick any two. In the case of flipsky, cheap and easy, not good.

5 Likes

Asking this too!
Maytech vesc go 50€ on AliExpress while flipsky is like 40€-50€ from day to day.

Isnt Maytech the best Chinese option and really good quality?

1 Like

Honestly any 4.x reference design vesc isn’t anywhere near the “best” option for anything but price.

5 Likes