Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

:sweat_smile: I do suppose my wording of “breaking something as a result of not having a fuse” could be confusing.

Hybrid ≠ FOC. They don’t work the same. Sensors turns off when adding current to the motors in BLDC hybrid. It only works for a short start up, but will break the sensors eventually.

Edit: FOC should be used to see if you had the same noise since sometimes that noise is usually from BLDC. It can help to see if it’s the bldc mode or the motors itself if you hear the same sound in FOC.

While this is technically true, which is the best kind of true, any fuse in there will help you. If you put a 12V fuse in there, it will be fine. Just make sure the current rating on it is about 110% to 200% of the maximum charge current you want to use.

2 Likes

That actually sounds a little big. 7.5A would be perfect IMHO

1 Like

I disagree. While it’s not guaranteed to happen it’s just not worth the risk of the short-circuit current arcing across the gap and blowing up the fuse, possibly starting a fire. The correct voltage fuses are always available. The right fuse will just sit there and open up if there’s a short-circuit.

6 Likes

For those in the USA, I have 58V fuses on the cheap

mouser charges like $0.56 plus $7.99 shipping for just a single one

Just solder it into your charge port circuit and silicone/epoxy/hot glue it inside the enclosure.

2 Likes

Do you know where I get get one for 50.4V for UK for 4A? Cant find one anywhere for the correct voltage

1 Like

It’s in that link above. Just change .com to .co.uk

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Littelfuse/0997007.5WXN?qs=sGAEpiMZZMsh2y49K8ANrYB63nQN2nH5H23b06A9xQM%3D

2 Likes

Cheers Brian !

1 Like

Anyone had experiences with hobbyking? How long do they take to send an order?

1 Like

i sometime buy from them, but i can’t really say much about their shipping since i live like 10mins away from their international warehouse in Hong Kong :joy:

4 Likes

Their shipping hasn’t been bad for me in the USA but I haven’t ordered from them for a few years.

1 Like

Well, seems like an item in the order went out of stock after i paid. Spoke to support to cancel that item and hopefully it ships today

1 Like

Dude, what a coincidence, I live like 10 minutes from their US warehouse :joy:

3 Likes

Quite good for my recent order.

Ordered on 13th.
Shipped on the 15th
arrived on the 23rd.

Used the cheapest shipping option that was not tracked.

2 Likes

Hm… what does “available on backorder” mean from aps? I can clearly see what is in stock and what is out of stock, but this? Do they just dropship straight off the factory whe orders come through? If so, am i not just better off ordering from the source? I think it’s saite motors.

You can “preorder” as it’s not in stock. Once it’s in stock you get your item.

1 Like

Means probably wait to buy it :rofl:

2 Likes

Ah, the classic money trap. “Will it be one week? Will it be july? Put £250 here and find out!”

3 Likes

There are very very few vendors, even trusted ones, I will preorder from. And definitely only if I ask, not if they ask.

2 Likes