Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

I should know this, buuuut…what are the advantages of 13s, 14s, 15s, 16s over 12s? I thought the Series configuration would improve the torque or power-grunt available as you increase the number, but I kinda can’t imagine the type of grunt you’d get from 16s considering the power already available on 12s…or maybe I’ve got it twisted and series refers more to range …:woozy_face:

Range is determined by number of cells, as long as you’re not overdriving them. Configuration doesn’t matter.

Series count buys you top speed and faster charging

Range can also be severely affected by the settings you use, and your riding style.

4 Likes

When it comes to esk8. The quote is : don’t ask google, ask @b264

1 Like

Thanks man. I can understand the appeal of fast charging and maybe a a bit of speed increase, but if the speed increases are significant then is it fair to say above 12s would be more suitable for racing boards? (I mean, are we talking around 60mph for 16s?)

1 Like

You forget about gearing ratios and motor kv. You can get a 10s and a 18s board to do a top speed of 5mph in these 2 alone.
It’s simply for the guys who want high power at lower amps.
It’s easier on the system to transport 50A at 75V than 75A at 50V. More amps = more heat. Some here pull way over 100 amps

1 Like

What are your goals, budget, parts on hand, and the first three or four things on this list?

Are you going to use the board for a toy or a tool?

2 Likes

I’m just trying to get my head around the value proposition of the Spintend Ubox, which I presume others will also be doing BC of its competive pricing. If I don’t plan on using a 16s battery, then a Xenith wins purely BC it has Bluetooth built in and that there are heatsinks and enclosures available for it.

Just panning an eMTB build, so it’s not a commuter, purely for thrills

So the message says that the firmware is too new, but I suspect it is actually too old. The Unity is running on 23.46. Isn’t the newest vesc firmware 5.1? Can someone explain to me how to update the vesc firmware?

2 Likes

I see something similar on vesc tool. I was afraid to choose upload because it doesn’t say what Im uploading? Like it doesn’t say 5.1 anywhere?

1 Like

Does choosing that give me the latest firmware on the Unity, …or a list to choose from?

That will give you the version bundled with the tool. If it’s variESC Tool then the version is below the logo in the top left.

2 Likes

You can manually load custom files but I don’t recommend exploring that path right now.

2 Likes

Ok thanks for your help. Im a little apprehensive as I’ve read that some have managed to brick their vesc during a firmware update.

Had a hard time finding what firmware the vesc tool has but I finally found its 5.02 as well.
Thanks again!

Can you cap the top speed through VESC or even through the remote, or is it only possible through gearing?

Definitely doable in VESC tool. In Profiles you can cap speed and acceleration.

1 Like

Cool, will check it out :+1:

…will I be looking at the RPM to modify speed?

I would do it in profiles, as you can always change the profile easily (like speed modes), rather than rewriting it every time. In profiles, it takes in km/h.

1 Like