Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Smart!

1 Like

Switch the sides. Connect left motor to right side of ESC and right motor to left side of ESC.

Take note if the problem does — or does not — switch sides.

1 Like

I’m getting a tiny bit of bite from my motor mounts at full lean on my MBS Comp 95, even with the stock shock blocks cranked all the way. Is this an issue? Should I get harder shock blocks, or trim the deck to fix it?

1 Like

Hello
How tight should belts be ?
Have dickios motors and mounts
Thanks

1 Like

they should flex down like 1cm and thats it
so very tight but with slight flex in the belt

1 Like

2 Likes

I have a used Hummie here that I wanted to use with a 12s4p 40T flat pack. The only way to fit that pack would be to router about 1/2" from both sides. Is that removing too much material from the deck?

1 Like

God I wish I knew where that one picture was with the yellow 3D printed pulley that you posted years ago…

Someone OG help me lol

3 Likes

There’s been an instance or two of someone removing a reasonable amount of material from a Hummie and still compromising it.

Can’t un-ring that bell.

2 Likes

That’s kind of what I’m afraid of

2 Likes

If you remove material suggest staying away from the corners and adding reinforcement to underside. I added UD carbon fibre where I removed some width in the middle of the cutout.

11 Likes

Bearing related question:

What sort of issues can you expect to run into with different width size bearings?

I believe standard 12mm x 28mm bearing have a 8mm width.

8mm x 22mm bearing have a 7mm width.

I’m looking at getting some 12mm x 22mm bearing to fit matrix trucks but find they have a 5mm width.

Any insight?

@SJReason can anyone help my man out with the proper configuration for a unity canbus cable? What resistor does he need and where?

1 Like

Narrower ball bearings (both narrower in width, and a closer ratio between ID and OD) generally have smaller balls, which reduces the maximum load they can handle without damage.

That shouldn’t be a big issue with skateboard stuff, but it’s worth keeping in mind because there are some edge cases where it can matter.

The other issue is spacing - Making sure the space between the bearings is correct, and matches the layout of the bearing seats on the wheels (so you don’t overload the bearings by tightening the axle nut too much, for example).

As long as the spacing is right and the ID and OD fit nicely, you should be okay.

1 Like

For a small, short run, with just a couple devices on it (like two unities connected over canbus, for example), you can just use two wires and omit the termination resistor, because the unities themselves are enough of a termination load.

For longer, more complex runs, the standard termination resistor is 120 ohms, but it’s not really needed for small runs.

2 Likes

What is considered a small run? Just 2 unitys is what will be on the canbus,

I think a small run is anything under maybe a handful of meters or so.
Two unities on an esk8 definitely classifies under “short”.

Canbus can be used over some impressively long distances (hundreds of meters), so it’s that kind of thing where you have to be careful about termination, mostly for noise and reliability reasons.

2 Likes

So simply connecting can H and can L should do the trick eh?

2 Likes

Yep, just two wires between H and L, and you’re off to the races.

2 Likes

Cheers for that @Skyart & @MysticalDork

1 Like