Help me not die, brakes suck.

10mm

The batter is not discharging 60 amps, battery max set to 30.

Is that 3d printed mount?

Correct, but these symptoms I’ve have on a dickyho aluminum mount as well.

Definitely belt skipping. Try a 15mm wide belt and carefully align it.

2 Likes

I followed these exact instructions for alignment.

Are there tensioning instructions?

I will order a 15mm belt today.

2 Likes

I have so many teeth engaged on the pulley Im shocked if it’s still slipping, but I will mark and test.

Tensioning is kind-of an art form.

My advice is make it as tight as reasonably/easily possible with just your fingers, without using tools to pry on it, and when you pinch the belt around the motor pulley with your fingers it should squeeze about 5mm or so.

There are also tensioning methods that involve plucking the belt with a hex key and using a guitar tuner to tune the belt pitch, but I don’t recommend that. If you do that, maybe 150Hz.

And all my advice is for no idler pulley. I don’t use them anymore… though it does look like you’ve installed it on the correct side. Be 100% sure the idler pulley can’t wiggle.

Hold the motor can and try to force the wheel to spin the same direction it’d be spinning during braking.

Tensioner is rock solid, I’ll have to measure the belt and get a shorter one to use this mount without it.

Squeezed

Relaxed

Too loose?

Wait, I’m sorry I thought the front was on the left. It looks like the front of the skate is on the right. If that’s the case then the idler may be on the wrong side. You want the tight side of the belt during braking to NOT be on the idler.

Hmm, I thought I read the idler is on bottom when inboard mounted.

Does slipping usually happen on the motor pulley or the wheel?

The idler should be on the slack side when under highest stress, which is during braking.

Motor pulley.

Ok I’ll install the tensioner on the other side. I’m sure I read it went on bottom though.

You might just try to remove it if you have a shorter belt handy.

Some folks like them, but in my experience they are a source of problems and not a cure for me.

It’s the only belt I have on hand at the moment. Which is why I added the idler because the mount had to be this exact length to clear the trucks and the battery enclosure when turning. The belt I had was too long.

I just check the thread on the old forum “obsession with idlers” and verified the position was correct. Per that thread. I have another mount, maybe I’ll try an idler on both sides.

Still had this problem on my old build with the dickyho mounts and the belt as tight as I could get it, specifically had lost brakes when almost stopped it was unnerving, I had to almost stop trying to break and step off while rolling.

Do your brakes take you to a complete stop?

In Current control mode, they do. There are a lot of variables. However, I prefer Current Hyst Reverse With Brake which has the double-tap-to-reverse feature which can completely stop you.