Noob question about build

Hey esk8 community. Just bought a 2nd hand diy board and was wondering if anyone could help me answer a question as im a noob and don’t want to waste money.

The board has 110 TBs on it right now but roads are terrible in my area and wanted to buy evolves 6inch at wheels. Will I be able to put wheels on this build without any issues besides maybe wheel bite?

here is a link to the build.

Thank you all!

1 Like

You’d need to buy a set of hubs, bearings, pulleys, belts to support it but yeah

Will probably get bite though

You can’t just buy the $250 Evolve kit though since that needs special axles to support the bearings

Do you know of another kit that I would be able to buy that would be more of plug and play rather then buying parts separately?

Ehh, regards you’d need hubs with bolt on pulleys

Are you tied to 6" Evolve tires specifically? I can hook you up with Superstars with 72T pulleys and 165mm Urban Treads, plus 4 of the 8 bearings you will need

If you want plug and play you’re kinda out of luck, easiest would be 125mm Cloudwheels since you can keep the stock bearings and spacer, and maybe the belt, but you’d need a new wheel pulley at the very least and the alignment will be off

Edit: if you have the supported wheel pulley, you MIGHT be able to run either Evolve or Metroboard hubs, but I think you’d need an aftermarket bearing, would need measurements of the axle to figure out compatibility

1 Like

No not tied to evolve specifically just thought anything bigger then 6 inch at wheels would definitely cause wheel bite. Do you have any pics and how much are you asking?

Are cloud wheels much better for rough street roads then the 110 TBs?

It depends how rough the road is, if it’s chipped and dirty sidewalk and some light trail material the CWs will be fine (maybe a bit rough still)

If it’s shattered path and off road you’d need pneumatics, CWs would help but it would feel terrible

1 Like

Honestly let him stick to evolve, it’s much easier plug & play.

You’re to want 8” tires on your hubs, not 6”. Unless you want a ride close to how the TB110s already are. Evolves 8” tires are decent enough, but you can also get Kendas on Amazon and stuff.

Evolve has their own press fit pulleys which should be good enough for you to begin with. If you ever grind one down or need stranger gearing once you learn a bit more, there’s aftermarket pulleys.

For bearings you just need zealous - probably two packs since you’ll need some spacers.

This is unless the axles you have are completely stock normal length skate axles… in that case you would need hubs w/bolt ons, PITA imo.

Err wait, are akhlut SR axles not extended 8mm? If not disregard what I’ve said… but if there’s any way he’s able to use evolve hubs w/their stock press fit pulleys, I recommend that. Noob proof

All my homies hate non extended non 8mm axles

I think with 8 inch at wheels I would definitely cause wheel bite. I just saw meepo released a hybrid kinda wheel like cloud wheel with the same core as the tb 110s. might just try that and see how that goes. looks like the most plug and play option right now.

I have no idea what axles they are tbh.

If you have actually jank roads no wheel is going to give you what you’re after. There’s not much higher in comfortability or function past those blue TBs in the land of wheels. You can listen or find out the hard way, but hands on experience is always good for you.

If he uses 200mm wheels he’s definitely gonna have turning issues, even 175mm would probably catch on a normal turn

That has extended 10mm axles, not sure what the exact length is but for sure 10mm

The Meepo 110mm Cyclone will be plug and played but it will be worse off than the 110mm Arctics, yes it has tread but it will have a narrower contact patch and harder material

1 Like

Hmmmm…

Honestly, I highly recommend you sell your truck + mount setup & buy some wide boardnamics trucks + mounts wide enough for 8”s

Guarantee somebody will snatch that SR + Akhlut set up quick for the price of BN gear or more. It’s going to be a pain for you to work w/10mm gear & narrowish trucks if you’re after pneummie comfort

Am I kinda SOL if I stick with the trucks I have and want pneumatics?

Loosen the bushings a bit, grab the far edge with your hand, lean as far as you can, and measure the distance from the wheel to the deck. You can add twice that to the diameter of your wheel

You need at least 15mm to go to 6" wheels

I have about 1 inch of room so I should be good on the room for 6" pneumatics.

Yeah you can run up to 6.5"

1 Like

thanks man appreciate the help

1 Like

You could also run a set of Onsra rubbers:

No need to change out anything else on that build. I run them on one of my builds. Not quite as comfortable as my build with pneumatics, but close enough.

2 Likes

he actually could just buy the evolve kit and swap the bearings.

1 Like

ill take a look thanks!

2 Likes