New Build Kit Board 150mm Flat Profile Tires

No one with an opinion about a bald version?

3 Likes

Are the inside of your tires completely clean and free from debris? Every time I buy new tires I wash out the insides really well. There is usually some crumbs and crap left over from manufacturing/shipping/etc that wind up inside the tire. Those crumbs will wear against the tube throughout your riding, eventually causing flats with no apparent cause.

Low PSI can also be an issue if you are pushing a lot of torque. For example, @JoeyZ5 got two flats at CarvePDX from running his tires at low pressure. His build was a 20s eMTB monster and he was cranking a shitload of torque, so eventually the tires spun on the rims enough to tear the valve stem out of the tube. I doubt that’s what’s happening to yours at 40PSI, but something to consider.

3 Likes

A bald tire sounds dope for racing on a track or parking lot racing. The XCell tires are already really close to this right, and they’re wider. I mean Moes race wheels and thanes are basically bald tires. Bald versions of these would be cool just not sure how many people it’d interest.

3 Likes

I would love to try the Xcell tires. They have been out of stock for a while.

2 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

I have my three sets and im gonna use em down to the last inch :joy:

6 Likes

Well that sucks!

3 Likes

Finally got to try these on the Hubba-hubs they do feel a bit harsher maybe due to the stiff sidewalls? Not really a big deal imo. But interestingly they feel really snappy and want to straighten out. When I go for a deep heel side carve, it wants to snap back at certain speeds. Has anyone else also felt this?

3 Likes

FYI there is an error in the shipping calculations on BKBs website. I had my order canceled as shipping wasn’t recalculated for multiple sets. Apparently i was emailed but it must have gone to my junk as i couldn’t find any emails. Weird I got the email that said my order was canceled though :man_shrugging:

Shipping was already 54US so I wouldn’t have paid more anyway but have been left patiently waiting for 4 weeks lol

Oh well. Sucks shipping is so bloody expensive!!

Edit: shipping to Australia. So probably doesnt apply to most

1 Like

Sold out again!

2 Likes

How does it feel carving on them? Does that “snap back” cause any problems there (or with sharp turns)?

1 Like

Carving on them still feels great, I’m curious how it’ll wear and feel then. The snap back took me by surprise and caused some wobbles, but once you expect it you just have to anticipate it. Like the energy stored in a snowboard. But again wondering if this is just unique to my setup or something, just never experienced it with rounded evolves before.

Shouldn’t be a problem on sharp turns and corners though, cause I didn’t experience it at lower speeds.

2 Likes

Looks aside it might be worth running evolves in the front and bkbs in the rear so it will naturally dampen the rear

1 Like

How will it naturally dampen the rear?

If it has a stronger return to center than evolves, then for the same badepla and bushings the rear will stay straighter without load, but you don’t lose on any of the turning since the geometry and resistance is the same on both ends

I was thinking about this more while riding my MTB today, and it could work. I run different tires on the back of my MTB vs the front. We could use BKB on the back as you suggest for stability, and with the larger contact patch for grip (esp 2wd). Whereas the front could be a rounded profile for less rolling resistance. I just don’t know how other things would suffer, for example cornering performance, or if you were running a 4wd setup.

2 Likes

That’s not a bad idea. How about putting Hota tires in the front? Those are my favorite round profile 6" tires at this point. Very grippy.

3 Likes

Just got back from a ride tonight same thing happened to me, haven’t pulled out the tube to inspect it yet. But I was also carving aggressively at 40 psi and now have a flat, was one of the rears. Interestingly I didn’t really notice it via feelings underfoot, but more when I was looking down and noticed the bead was sliding inwards too much. I also received one tire where there was already a hole in the tube. So I too am questioning the quality of the tubes, but maybe we’re outliers. Going to swap in an Evolve 6 inch tube and see how it goes.

Well that’ll certainly cause a flat

8 Likes

Actually I may have torn the valve stem myself, I found a separate hole on the tube. Guessing again from the carving.

2 Likes