NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

I have not made separate part as i would need to add 3 additional modules and it gets clogged up. People can leave a note and most of the time i confirm this with customer before shipping

2S4P and 4P+4P is one enclosure, 8P is different. All enclosures are made out of 3 parts, front, middle and rear. 8P will have front, multiple middles and rear. 2S4P will have front multiple middles, separating middle and again front etc
8P is narrower then 2S4P and 2S4P is narrower than 2 x 4P back to back.

1 Like

@Agniusm Iā€™m looking at this integrated deck right now with about 35mm height

ā€¦and wishing there was an option for a dual stack nese tab set.

While this Covid thing is going on design the hell out of that, surely the tab would just look like kind of like this but with only one tang

11 Likes

Oooh, I would pay for a double stacked NESE. Should be doable with modifying the exising STL and possible the tabs also?

4 Likes

The limiting factor is that the compressive force per cell would be reduced. Also you wouldnā€™t achieve that much reduction in height. So I would say, just stack 2 modules.

I have thought a lot about this and also designed a box around it.

3 Likes

The existing design is really mature and wastes no space for what is does. But in my use case which is a typical use case, you simply do not have 44mm+ to work with and waste that 10mm enclosure headroom.

A dual stack design would definitely pick up more purchases and of course the single stack needs no redesign and can continue as is, is a product offering with a wide appeal and little design work afaik?

4 Likes

cannae stack = 44mm(or thereabouts)

Fair point on the compression. Iā€™ve a case that you designed 2s3p & itā€™s tight AF

Iā€™d be down for an offset double stack. The enclosure I had to make to fit a double stack right now is huge

2 Likes

Something Iā€™ve been thinking of is that often in builds you have space for 1 layer of cells + a few mm for wiring the pack. If you use NESE, that extra vertical space ends up unused, but you need more space on the sides for the terminal screws. So a solution to that problem would be to design a thicker NESE pack, that placed the cells like this:

Screenshot from 2020-03-17 02-11-15

Iā€™m actually planning on doing that with a welded pack, just so it fits in the enclosure :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes that is the other option, see @Senderā€™s pack made for the Prototipo for reference

1 Like

What you will gain in height, you will loose in length with empty space. I would rather go 21700 highest capacity cells and it will be far smaller than doublestack. Sure not for the power builds but 6 18650 3ah cells 18ah vs 3 21700 5000mah 15ah. Probably be 10mm lower and narrower too.

3 Likes

Reworking 21700 modules. Highly possible they will be 23.5mm in height vs 26mm

12 Likes

Exciting! Is it safe to presume the tabs and other accoutrement will remain static and work on new design?

I would try to keep it the same. Will see how it works out. I am doing some more pocketing to loose more plastic so its lighter. Grams, but still.

5 Likes

Every bit counts :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s what she said

2 Likes

Damnā€¦ just finished up printing 20pcs of the normal 21700 modules. And now you tell me that you can make them smaller, so I can have room for more. Looking forward to se :slight_smile:

1 Like

Its not much, but you know how these thing go. I could just leave it, but then it would be boring :smiley:
It would allow you to go 22S in the same space :blush:
Looking at all designs i can safely, without jeopardizing physical integrity make modules as follows:
18650 @ 20.5mm vs 22mm
21700 @ 23.5mm vs 26mm
26650 @ 28.5mm
only 2.5mm thicker than the cell itself. Also ~1-1.5mm shorter
Big question mark is if i could reuse my tabs. Making it thinner offsets bolt hole. At the moment 18650 bolt hole is 11mm from the side and same from the top/bottom. This allows to use same series busbar either way. Have designed the holes oval but i am not sure yet if it will be OK.

7 Likes

Since IĀ“m already bought the hardware from you, IĀ“m hoping to be able to re-use this.

I have checked and you will be able to reuse it. Only thing, it will only work with 18650 bus bars, side to side and back to back. If you want, i can provide stl for whatever P you need so you could print a sample and see if its any good to you

1 Like

Damn, I bough the 21700 kit
I guess thats lifeā€¦