NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

hawt!

My ocd is killing me, print another box for the empty space!

3 Likes

I need the space for the fuse and the 4awg wire going out there. And in the future the empty space will be filled up for a 24s setup.

1 Like

There has to be some order with colors too, each second red or some sort of simeyrical order :joy:
My OSD is extreme too when it come to that :joy: I literally dig through hundreds of screws just to find identical two for that and this silly project and if i dont i go for fuck sake and my day is ruined :joy:

1 Like

Something like this in US: https://www.mcmaster.com/low-profile-head-cap-screws/thread-size~m5/socket-head-profile~ultra-low/length~12mm/
But…:money_mouth_face:

nomadic_myke

1m

Thank you! I really appreciate your response. I think I have come up with a viable work-around using a 1" wide x 3/4" thick neoprene gasket which allows me to fit the 21700 modules with the standard hardware inside my enclosure. This weekend, I will be drilling and fitting inserts and I will post pics once completed.

Have you thought about glueing modules with advanced doublesided tape instead of drilling the board?
Much easier and you wont be damaging the board. Also, i believe stronger.

1 Like

Use some bus bars on the power output. Then attach wire to bus bar. Takes away strain from the module and it is easier and you can route wires better

1 Like

Off-topic. Building this 7S3P battery for my 2 year old son, pedal car conversion. Using car wiper motor and some other cheap electronics of ebay. Most important thing is lights and horn :smiley:
This is why 3D printer is a must for maker of any kind :slight_smile:

16 Likes

When are you shipping my order from last week?

Its shipped. Check your email for tracking, maybe went to spam ?! or Paypal.

3 Likes

Yes you are right. It was in the spam folder…

I want to use this system but have 26650 cells, is there a size of the NESE system that already exists to accommodate this cell size or would I need to make my own?

Keep us updated on this. Looks fun!

Sorry but no. Only 21700 and 18650 are supported at this time. I am thinking about adding 26650 and if i decide to roll with it, it will be over half a year to get all done.

2 Likes

Yeahhhhhh I’ll just make a model. Thx for response tho

I have started, so i should have it in 2 weeks or so. I’ll tag you if i remember…

1 Like

I knew it was going to be tight trying to fit a 12S4P of 21700s inside N.E.S.E. cases for this build. Fortunately with a thick enough fire-retardant gasket just about anything is possible! I still need to clamp everything together and install the stainless steel M4 inserts which finally arrived from AliExpress. I am going to button it up with ten or twelve SS bolts using stacked plastic and anodized fender washers which will help reduce some of the gasket bulge while protecting the gorgeous enclosure. Probably going to want to invest in some risers, but the 110s will get me most of the way there for ground clearance. Wish me luck!

5 Likes

Awsome man! I’m making a 12s4p pack, so would love if you could make designs that go higher in cell series count, rather that just having packs meant for parallel. I just don’t want 12 separate packs for 4 cells :yum:

Nice snug fit! Soon I’ll be making 10s4p NESE 21700… and intend to use that same 8-cell housing design. Did you make any tweaks to the model or print as-is? Actually I’ll be adjusting the length to fit the funky-sized 20650 cells (LG H6 recently on sale) but maintaining the 21mm diameter to make use of the 21700 NESE contact hardware. So starting with a native 3D CAD file (not STL) would be awesome if you know of any. Good luck with your build, its looking good!