*SCAM ALERT* neoHUB Group Buy (Same as loaded motor but sensored)

I’ll read it for sure thanks for the doc.

However I stand on my position : it’s not my problem if a manufacturer uses multistrand or not, if I request x awg he damn better use x awg wire else there won’t be no trade.

As far as factory building and consistency, it’s his job to be up to the task, not my job to check what would have been better.

Edit : Who the hell changed my title for this awesome Status :rofl::rofl: Love you bro

1 Like

Well. Your position is correct. If he actually stated 14 gauge then… eh… I just didn’t read him stating that anywhere but I’m also not following development that closely…

And yeah that’s true, but learn from experience just because you ask a factory to deliver something, does not mean they are capable of doing what you ask. Got to assess the factory’s limitations first

2 Likes

This is what i’ve found

He also talked about getting less air and more copper inside (thinner strands?)

2 Likes

Mfw hub motor thread and see hummie replying… :joy:

2 Likes

True, but that was from last November… This week he posts on IG boasting about that fat copper in motor, sure I dig the super clean structure with big bearings and all but come on, that thin ass wire :sob:

1 Like

i think with that he meant his outrunner motor, not the neohub.

1 Like

Thinner wire has better copper fill mostly in practice. Sure with thicker wire, on paper you can do the math of circles next to each other and have identical air gap. But nobody do the math for stiff-ass copper wire going around sharp bends multiple times and the patience of factory workers.

2 Likes

Bret + Hummie replying = take cover

1 Like

Practically though.

Someone is being paid minimum wage to wind these, thinner wires will make life a lot easier and they are more likely to come out better. People like John with the passion and scale to wind thicker wires will likely get a better result.

Scale of economy.

10 Likes

Hey yo fuk u m8

3 Likes

Let’s bring shartis back. He will chart the wire thickness to stress ratio.

8 Likes

I’m ded 10neohub

Now my wife watches me weirdly (I mean, more than usual)

2 Likes

You are an optimistic fellow.

If people are thinking that these hubs are going to be as good as hummie’s they are in for a disappointment. I’m sure they will be great but you can’t really compare a large production commercial offering with the sort of thing John is able to put out.

Lets be real about that.

Edit: I will buttboard race @BigBen in a straight line on his Hummie hubs though, for science.

16 Likes

Fixed it for ya. :wink:

Hummie has been replying for a long time. I’m scared.

4 Likes

Skin effect happens at a high frequency. I forget what frequency but especially with a hub motor I remember it not being high enough to produce skin effect

14 awg is huge. Considering the size of these motors and assuming maybe n48 magnets if single strand and even wye terminated, which these don’t seem to be, I bet it would be maybe 19 awg to get a kv around 75-80. I was using a stator I think maybe twice as long and with thick steel behind each magnet, which was curved and much wider almost full fill and an air gap as low as .2-.4mm and would do 17awg and also wye to get 75kv. I did them almost all the same like that

U don’t find single strand winding or wye almost anywhere because machines don’t do it. Sometimes u can get more copper on with multi strand but almost always a single strand rewind will be not only more copper but the coils can be organized better so more inductance produced and easier to organize neatly leaving minimum gaps between coils which trap heat. Most inductance for least electrical resistance being the goal.

Winding thick wire isn’t hard and I now do 16 awg. U can’t put it on like in this pic above though and u need more leverage. I tie one end to a doorknob and pull it on. Very tight and when u figure what wire fits it just fits. If I didn’t do it just right it wouldn’t fit. Like a jigsaw puzzle.

I used “heavy build” wire. It has double the insulation. I’ve never heard thinner wire having less insulation just because thinner. The insulation is pretty fantastic as long as ur stator has not even the tiniest bit of bare steel otherwise it’s likely to scratch and short and big waste of time. U can really deform the wire no problem regardless of its size and msw wire told me for some of their wire they shape it after putting on the insulation.

Square wire would be ideal except insanely expensive in anything smaller than 16 awg and when so thin it ends up being too hard to stack it and ultimately it ended up worse for me every time I tried it. But if 15 awg or above it could be great. Not only because it’s more square and less voids between( it’s a bit round) but because u can stack. Otherwise with round ur forced to lay it on in layers along the tooth going bottom to top then back down and up again or it collapses.

11 Likes

Yeah that too… hubs are a tool like outrunners are a tool. You wouldn’t pick up a spanner when you needed to hammer a nail in. Yeah it would work but you’d be an idiot hitting a nail with a spanner.

These are for fun cruising and chuck around shopping cart boards, simplistic builds and for the fun of trying something different.

2 Likes

At 10kHz, under 0.6mm, 14 gauge is 1.6mm… So some effect?

3 Likes

What frequency would we be? This above is 12 tooth. @BluPenguin. I think the switching frequency that’s adjustable on the esc is irrelevant and smoothed by the inductance. Pretty sure then it would be related to just the erpm

2 Likes

9 Likes