Tech requests for Jeff from neoONE (Merged Topic)

Not for this application. We can making though.

4 Likes

Well yeah i thought most motors were like this. but @jeffwuneo is saying otherwise, hence the need for epoxy to fill the gap between the flat of the magnet and the curve of the can.

I remember seeing pictures on the dead forum of dismantled motors with curved magnets in them.

1 Like

Do you mean to say that your magnets are curved on both sides?

On the can and on the stator facing side?

Because that, i have not seen.

2 Likes

@avX Yes. Is use radial magnet for both side. Because of this is having less gap and more efficient.

11 Likes

nice! i have 3 follow up questions.

1. do you have pictures of this?
  2. can you make 6374 motors with these and sell them yesterday? :smiley:
  3. any idea what the difference is between curved and flat magnets in scientific terms?
7 Likes

I share picture tomorrow. We can making but need 30-35 day for this. For curve magnet is having better field from flat magnet. Can making more efficient with less loss from each turn of rotor. For motor it needing have less air gap for more copper filling. With curve you having less gap so can fitting more copper.

18 Likes

Also for magnet. With magnet from China have many variance for field between each one. We use japan magnet for more tolerance of field. Is better quality but more costing.

Is same like we using for our AC and DC motor we make for customer.

15 Likes

Since the airgap is smaller you get better cogginforce from the magnet to stator which will make for a more efficient motor. However, the drag when freewheeling will be bigger. So its kind of a tradeoff. There are more factors in play such as polepairs but if i remember correctly airgap is very prominent in the equation.

6 Likes

Well, magnetic flux will definitely be stronger considering we can now get relatively closer to the stator, that i know.

However, how much more torque/ efficiency are we talking about in %'s? Is it worth the cost trade-off? I’m assuming curved magnets are more expensive ><. Is there a reason why this has not been explored before?

I’ll do some reading on this tomorrow, but in the mean time, if anyone has data/a paper to link me, that’ll be great.

1 Like

Effient still depend for many other factor. Copper thick and winding tight also important for this. Stator size is other important. Which all make it.

2 Likes

The larger the number of poles, the less sense it makes to go curved, that why you see some low pole count motor, specially inrunners doing curved magnets, the performance would suffer if the didn’t do that, but for larger number of poles, like most of the ones we use, the difference between air gap in the center vs edge of the magnet doesn’t differ too much

2 Likes

there is definetly a tradeoff. I think a certain gap is desired when designing a synchronous machine for esk8 use.

If I remember right motors which primarily serve as generators use a relative large airgap to minimize the drag:

2 Likes

I think you will gain more than you loose with curved magnets. The drag increase is not that big that you can’t cope it with the higher regen braking current.

The only trade off is price vs quality imo.

1 Like

@jeffwuneo can you make a centrifugal clutch drive system for us since you’re magic?

I’d settle for a variable gear box too.

11 Likes

I’d like to add 6-7 more projects on Jeff’s plate to slow down all this pesky progress.

14 Likes

We need him to make lithium cube cells that have 50A discharge and 10000mAh capacity after 3000 cycles too…same form factor as 18650 of course :joy:

6 Likes

Those solid state ones look promising. The race is on.

1 Like

Hummie should just give him the right to manufacture his hubs :wink:

7 Likes

Properly curved motor magnets are used in the world’s finest electric vehicles, yet this is only one component of several that makes up a precision-made electric motor:

The marketing copy on the Thrust 40 stretches a bit - don’t drink the RotorKool-Aid - yet it describes a precision-made motor that Neo can outperform.

I hardly think anyone here will make the case for lower precision, unless price is the guiding factor.

Our little alliance isn’t about building yet another “buy motor for $55, sell for $120” kind of business, because frankly speaking, there’s hundreds of posts on how well that business model has actually served our community (look past fanboy hype, resale value is crap). Fact.

Some of us hold the Hoyt motor in very high regard; personally speaking, I know we can do far better, for hubs, outrunner motors and axial drives.

Competition makes us all better, and the Freefolk win. Personally, I think this is worth investing into.

9 Likes

Not sure we want to do that to Jeff, as awesome as Hummie is in general.

4 Likes