*SCAM ALERT* neoHUB Group Buy (Same as loaded motor but sensored)

14 AWG single strand is a pain to wind. Here’s what it looks like on my 80100 motor stator. Not a perfect fill but definitely better them factory.

14 Likes

I’m no expert in the domain, but i heard that multi strand allow for more current for a given cross sectional area, can someone confirm ?

1 Like

You have proof of this or… Motors are AC. There is skin effect too. Multi strand of equivalent cross section is identical.

1 Like

Yeah, because of AC current, skin effect actually causes the wire with more surface area to conduct better, so multi strand will actually outperform here because the equivalent diameter has more surface area.

2 Likes

I think the main problem is when they say it is 14 AWG multi stranded motor wire, the 14awg sizing might be including the enamel wire insulation. So in the same 14awg cross section, the multi stranded has a ton of insulation compared to a single strand.

2 Likes

True, but this is both offset by a denser fill, thinner insulation on thinner wire, and skin effect too. I would say the end result is similar if not better with multi strand.

I would say the advantage of a thicker single wire is durability. Less susceptible to insulation damage from vibration

2 Likes

If you look for circle packing, the % you can fill is independent of wire size, of course, in a small area if you go too large of a wire you loose to much at the edges, but you will probably have a better fill with a larger wire

The ultimate would be square beefy wires

4 Likes

Need to find data back, I’ll check.
@hummieee should also be able to confirm however and he has data to back it up. That’s pretty much why he went for thicker wire, I guess same for @Mr.Electronicist?

You simply pass x max amps before saturation through x copper, the thicker the better.

With equal Kv, I wait for anyone to push these hubs against Hummie’s as is and see which one is torquier.

Edit : Suppressed useless info.

5 Likes

Not sure about it however just compare my wire and the one posted, I’m 18awg there.

1 Like

Fills as dense as this is impossible to achieve with single strand. The wire is too stiff.

5 Likes

The limitation of hub drive is not max amps, it’s efficiency and heat. At low amps, skin effect may actually cause multi-strand to be more efficient here. I no do the math on this yet so not 100%. But I think torque wise, neglectable at best.

1 Like

I looked into it, even at 14 awg you are still using the full depth, even better since hubs run at lower ERPM

2 Likes

This discussion is intriguing. Go on.

All I know is moar copper is greater gooder.
Also, shouldn’t thicker wire grant a bigger airgap between wires? Then small ones?
Or is the trade off even since more strands yield more gaps? :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

Just saying, why advertise 14awg of it’s not?

I don’t say this won’t be one hell of a motor but there are no children here except @Kellag.

Tomorrow I check between ES and the old forum about data on wire thickness for our hubs. Will be better than just throwing my 2 cents.

EDIT : False alert, it’s 14awg total per multistrand… But not 14awg copper… So I’ll bite my own words.

4 Likes

I think the answer here is, is single strand better? Probably, if you calculate the wire size perfectly, and you have the patience to sit there and carefully slide each wire through the slots, taking care to line each run perfectly and not cross the wires which will add massive air gaps, not working the copper too much and weakening it, etc etc.

I think for BLDC drive, single strand could win. For FOC, I think due to the high frequency, is where skin effect may actually have an effect. Here’s a study on skin effect in squirrel cage motors for anyone bored:

Slight improvement in torque and efficiency overall. Not sure how this translate to BLDC vs induction.

Either way, for factory building, consistency, performance, reliability and everything else balanced, I think I trust multi-core better.

3 Likes

I’ll read it for sure thanks for the doc.

However I stand on my position : it’s not my problem if a manufacturer uses multistrand or not, if I request x awg he damn better use x awg wire else there won’t be no trade.

As far as factory building and consistency, it’s his job to be up to the task, not my job to check what would have been better.

Edit : Who the hell changed my title for this awesome Status :rofl::rofl: Love you bro

1 Like

Well. Your position is correct. If he actually stated 14 gauge then… eh… I just didn’t read him stating that anywhere but I’m also not following development that closely…

And yeah that’s true, but learn from experience just because you ask a factory to deliver something, does not mean they are capable of doing what you ask. Got to assess the factory’s limitations first

2 Likes

This is what i’ve found

He also talked about getting less air and more copper inside (thinner strands?)

2 Likes

Mfw hub motor thread and see hummie replying… :joy:

2 Likes

True, but that was from last November… This week he posts on IG boasting about that fat copper in motor, sure I dig the super clean structure with big bearings and all but come on, that thin ass wire :sob:

1 Like