*SCAM ALERT* neoBOX open source Focbox variant (HW 4 and HW6 Design)

Some good work on the logs guys.

I can see you guys spiking the motor amps hard and running high amps for 30 seconds or so too in those logs and all looks great with temps. Keep it coming.

14 Likes

It spins. :+1:

18 Likes

I considered redoing them. Is that lead free solder?

The rest were good. I was going to finish a 12s 40t pack for this, but I am just going to tape lipos to the deck like old times.

14 Likes

Yikes that middle solder joint is looking crusty :eyes:

And I see at least one solder ball… :confused:

You have any green liquid on yours?

Also our white silicone has the same speckled shit on it… I don’t think these were cleaned at all

Ugh

5 Likes

my phase wires have plenty of tin soaked in them so i figure I should swap them out. not sure i can do this while leaving the pcb mounted on its plate

1 Like

First test today, 27km ride and I pushed it pretty hard already (see Metr Pro log). The vescs definitely endured a lot of vibrations (more than the board endures on a standard ride), I went through the forest, bumpy grass fields and rocky field roads. On road I went full speed on some parts on my way home. Temps peaked at 74 which is also due to the vescs being in the same case as the battery and having only a small gap for cooling in the enclosure. Anyway I did not hit temperature cutoff. Just after I was done with the ride I measured the case/heatsink temps which were around 44 degrees celsius.

The response and controll of the board feels similar if not identical to my old focboxes which I guess is good thing! It was an awesome ride, looking forward to keep testing these babies.

DavegaX log:

13 Likes

That solder job on those phase wires is horrendous!

9 Likes

Mine were good, maybe a quality control issue

12 Likes

We have changed supplier for our pre tinned cables. They had some problems with quality. So it can be fixed for production batch.

13 Likes

Good work Jeff, that’s what the test phase is for. Shouldnt that have been picked up in QC though?

3 Likes

It passed our testing for phase detection and voltage checking. But I will make sure it is stricter on this for production batch.

11 Likes

Is this the correct conformal coating for this application? @b264?

Should I avoid fet interface with sink?

Just slather it on right? Avoiding connectors.

7 Likes

Also, I managed snap off a hex standoff taking the lid off.

Be careful unscrewing the external m2 screws.

6 Likes

Can someone else who owns a NEObox v6 thicken the thermal pad under the fets and check if there’s a noticeable change in temp?

Thermal pads NEED contact… And by the looks of it the fets are making zero contact :expressionless:

Put the thinnest single coat possible on the FETs first. Let that dry.

Option 1:
Make sure you got between them as well. Go fast, because it dries quick and is thick. Don’t worry about getting extra on there as long as it isn’t directly on top of the FETs. Even in between them it can be thick.

Option 2:
This is more difficult. Not sure how good you are at painting. Get the tops really thin, then after it dries go back and put thick coats in between them without getting any on top, but touching all sides of them. This is better but requires tedious brush skills.

Then, whichever way you did it, after that dries (20 minutes) go back and get the rest of it with a thick coat. Everything except don’t get any inside the USB jack. And I am assuming you’re not using any of the JST connector, ever. If you are, you need to plug those in first or they will never work if you brush the pins.

Make sure anywhere water can touch, you’ve “touched” first with acrylic.

7 Likes

make sure to remove this solder ball and check for others

I don’t like the solder on the caps in front of the phase leads either 🤷

7 Likes

Throw a sacrificial micro USB plug into the port before you start, helps keep it off the pins.

8 Likes

I put an extension on there and seal it all up including the extension.

Depends how the USB jack is oriented though and how the enclosure is. You don’t want mechanical stress on that USB jack. There are also non-90 degree versions of that. Make sure it’s a data cable and not just power.

12 Likes

I really miss the MG Chemicals # 419C because it was super thin and awesome for FETs. Then 419D on the rest. Unfortunately, 419C is unobtainium and discontinued and the little bit I have left is not leaving here.

is the stuff on ebay legit?

bottle
can