*SCAM ALERT* neoBOX open source Focbox variant (HW 4 and HW6 Design)

yes and no, it adds a variable, the @Sn4Pz variable which the others won’t have. for testing I would leave as is for consistency across the group

There shouldn’t be cold solder joint as the PCB is made by machine. I will need to check our inspection report tomorrow.

7 Likes

Why is there an extra pad under the caps?
Are the PCBs being washed after assembly?

I will need to check friend, I don’t know yet :slight_smile:

Yes we clean the PCB after assembly and before testing.

3 Likes

That’s not a pad it’s white line on the silkscreen to show how to place the cap. Those solder joints are not cold they look good.

20 Likes

ohh k, couldn’t tell from the pic :+1:
still looks like not complete solder flow though

2 Likes

@jeffwuneo Will the next production batch ship with conformal coating?

1 Like

Its just the difference between paste vs hand solder. Take it from someone who has spent entirely too much time staring at pcbs scratching his head.

16 Likes

So by your staring, there’s nothing obviously amiss with that NeoBox?

2 Likes

Lol, fair enough

1 Like

@Scepterr, @Deodand is correct that the white next to the caps is just the silk screen, you can see in the PCB pics in the OP. Can also see how one side of pads has perforations and the other side doesn’t and that’s probably why they look so different in the soldered pic.

2 Likes

is it the nipple clamps

1 Like

Obviously can’t see the routing of the gate drive and power stage signals just by looking which can be the trickiest bits. Component placement seems pretty similar to existing designs so is probably fine.

Those phase leads could do with more heat during reflow for sure.

12 Likes

Think they’re fine to run though? I don’t trust myself to solder so close to something so integral/complicated :joy:

My soldering skills are limited to connectors :grimacing::man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

It’s basically a flat connector…

1. get the iron nice and hot
  2. tin the iron with a small blob of solder (add rosin if there is none in the solder)
  3. hold the iron with some pressure on the end of the wire, pushing it into the pad
  4. remove after it starts to flow and the iron sinks into the wire, make sure the wire is held in place…use pliers or something since it’ll be hot
  5. celebrate you’re non-cold joint connections
1 Like

I know how to do it, it’s more of a ‘I shouldn’t have to’ / ‘I don’t feel like fucking it up’ thing

I’m a lazy bastard what can I say :man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

That’s fair…I’ve grown up with electronics so anything simpler than SMT reflow is fair game for me. But yeah it should be fine, if you can check the wire by hand after a long hard run and see if its warm…warm wires are bad but if its ambient temperature in the enclosure you’ll be fine

2 Likes

I did a quick head to toe with a temp gun after my first ride and nothing was ‘out of place’ temps wise

So I guess it’s acceptable?

If we have a chance to trade in the testing neoboxes for production units, @jeffwuneo, I will certainly accept. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

Relatable :100:%

2 Likes

13 Likes