Need help choosing motors to upgrade my Flux AT2

Hi there,

As the title says, I am looking to upgrade the motors on my currently stock Flux AT2.

I am set on Flipsky motors since this seems like a good reliable choice for price to value (please correct me if I am wrong). Either the 6384’s or 63100’s, but I do have a couple of questions that I could use your help with:

1. Measuring from motor mount to motor mount there are about a little more than 21cm of distance between. That leaves about 1cm and some of space between cans. Enough?

2. The 63100 come in 140, 170, and 190kv. I know that generally it’s a question of torque vs top speed, but I would appreciate it if someone could let me know if there are other pros and cons to choosing one over the other. Efficiency? Motor temp? That sorta stuff.

I am pretty happy with the general performance of the stock Maytech 6374, I don’t feel like I absolutely NEED more torque or top speed, but either wouldn’t hurt. Though the Maytechs do run hot quickly and therefore tend to cut out when going fast for longer periods. They are also pretty loud.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Cheers

1 Like

This is where larger motors will help the most. The extra thermal mass will allow you to ride longer before saturation. 80a on 6374s will feel very similar to 80a on 63100s.
I’d say go for 6384s, the 100s are getting pretty long which causes more stress on mounts and adds swing weight to the trucks.
FS 84s will be a good upgrade over maytech 74s.

Be forewarned though, most flipsky motors get loud at upper rpms/speeds. Some hate itn some don’t mind.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply! Ok, so you’d go for the 6384, cool. Is that in the 140, 170, or 190kv config? Stock Maytechs are 170.

I am still unsure of how much difference it makes, i.e. what percentage of top speed would one lose choosing 140kv over 190kv. Or how much more output I get from a 84 vs a 74 for that matter.

There must be a way to calculate the differences, right? I am not really experienced in any of this I’m afraid.

Any guides here on the forum that could help?

Use this

Input your info
Test some options

Or use the force calculator which is even better, here

1 Like

Share your wheels and gear ratio if you have a setup you’re sticking with.

1 Like

For now, I am planning to stick with what came in the box, so that is:

200mm/8" pneumatic tires
20mm wide pulleys and belts
15T motor pulley
68T wheel pulley

Thanks, going to give these a shot once I am in front of a PC!

1 Like

I’d say if you were maxing out the speed alot and want a little more top speed, go for 190kv. If you never really hit top speed stick with 170kv.

From a power perspective, 170-190kv is usually the sweet spot for efficiency.

1 Like

Shameless plugging: (best price if youre in the US)

2 Likes

Appreciated, but I am in the EU. Good to have options though

For god sake dont get the flupsky 6384’s, unless you want to sound like thomas the tank engine coming up the road.

I have them on my board and cant wait to be rid of the noisy whisteling irritating shit stains of motors… flipskys 63100’s were also shit and id not ever consider them again.

1 Like

Damn you, Jesse. I was just about to order :grinning:

170s sound like the way to go for me, would be sad to lose too much torque. But I am going to fiddle around with the calculator and check options. Thanks

The Matech 6374’s I bought a couple years ago ran so hot, I tried to return them, and they wouldn’t take them back. There was something wrong with them. If I sat there and turned them manually for a long enough period of time, they would suddenly start producing a lot of physical resistance. I have no idea what was causing it but it almost felt like a short in the coils. Horrible motors imho to essentially come from the factory like that. I still have them, and they look like new. I’ll eventually tear into them and see if I can figure it out. I talk shit on them every chance I get.

2 Likes

I love my FS 6384’s. What KV were you running? Motor noise is more about KV ratings, isn’t it?

In my experience they generally perform decently, but I also don’t have anything to compare them to since this is my first board that doesn’t use hub motors. But yeah the heat issues seems to be a common complaint when reading about them online.

1 Like

They’ll definitely move you.

1 Like

From memory they’re 170kv (possibly 190) … i honestly cant believe the level of scream they have, its obscene… i imagine whole streets of dogs waking at 2am as i scream like a banchee up the road.

@PhiRa Have you considered Reacher 6384’s?

If flipsky was all there was for esk8, id take up kayaks

2 Likes

I have 140kv and 190kv, the 140s are silent (at 12s / max rpm) whereas the 190kv have the known harmonic scream of death right around 80% throttle…

I haven’t checked out the Reachers before now, but they seem difficult to find retailers for. Do you have a link to where I could potentially order them from?