My experience with the esk8 supply dual vesc based esc

@Esk8supply I dont mind there being color. Just that those three colors are usually a color code for wiring hubs to preprogrammed meepo esc or other chinesiums. You are clearly not in the same ballpark as you have custom functionality :slight_smile:

Personally I’d say make them all one color. That would pop. Probably red

4 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welcome to Derail Jail

Cool cool

1 Like

Let the reviews rain on us. @Esk8supply people are liking you. Keep it up :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Small update!

I now have around 10-15 miles on this vesc and so far so good! Nice and smooth acceleration just like you expect from a vesc! No cutouts on strong acceleration and the remote is doing great!

For those wondering I am running both motor and battery amps At 40/-35.

Will update this thread with my final thoughts once I do a bit more rideing on it!

5 Likes

@Esk8supply any chance you could make the wire layout more similar to that of the unity on the new vesc you have coming?

2 Likes

We could have a look, might be quite a hassle. We haven’t started production so I don’t see why not :grin:

1 Like

I think it would be a nice improvement! The current layout is a tad annoying.

2 Likes

It’s loooooong

1 Like

@Esk8supply is this a current design feature of the be new vesc? If not is it possible to implement at this point?

1 Like

We would have to look into it. That would involve more testing and work for the esc
Have you got any examples we can follow?

1 Like

I belive the unity has a 2 pin jst to Allow for a battery indicator to be attached. I’m assuming you can’t pull high amperage off that port on the unity tho meaning no lights. @deodand is that correct? I think if you can get port where a battery meter can be attached that will be fine as people useing lights typically have a separate switch for them.

1 Like

I think a simple format similar to this dual FSESC 4.20+ would be a good start.

1 Like

Well since it’s raw battery and you can pull something like 300 mA it’s actually quite a bit of wattage.

3 Likes

@Deodand Thx for the clarification! Also while your here I have a quick question for you- this may make no sense as I don’t know a ton about how electronics work but as most know the main reason for failing antisparks is the inrush current caused by the capacitors. If an anti spark was placed after the capacitors would that solve the issue of needing a precharge?

2 Likes

The capacitors leak current passively. Enough that if they were before the switch you wouldn’t want to leave your board for a few months discharged. Also the added inductance/resistance between the power stage and the caps by putting switch between is not ideal and probably would cause some issues.

6 Likes

Thx for explaining this to me!

4 Likes

Also got this ESC from a buddy of mine… almost done building but good to see it’s holding up! Not a lot out there on this one.

1 Like

UPDATE!

I have put around 30-45 miles on this vesc and no issues thus far.

Some of pros and cons are listed throughout this thread but I will try to summarize them here.

Pros-

Easy install as everything is intigrated (great for beginners and minimizes wire clutter)

Really nice feeling remote that I’ve experienced zero disconnects with.

Good battery life on the remote.

Nice heatsink.

Build quality looks great.

Great customer support from @Esk8supply .(I had a issue with one of the lights on the remote not working which dident effect anything but the battery indicator and Nathan sent a new one right over!)

Cons-

It would be nice if the vesc was in landscape mode rather than portrait. (That’s the clearest way I can explain it😂)

Would be nice to have heatshrink or a cover on it. ( @Esk8supply has confirmed they are working on a cover!)

There was no heatshrink on the terminals of the switch.

The vesc has no uart (or any ports for that matter) which means you can’t use uart devices like a Bluetooth module but it was not advertised too have any uart so I can’t really call it a con ( @esk8supply has confirmed a version with all ports is coming In the future!).

I would have liked to see a area where you can attach a battery indicator in a way that it would go on/off when the built in antispark is switched on/off.

Personal preferences-

I would have liked a raised portion in the middle of the thumb wheel to indicate the center like the vx1.

I don’t love the position of the thumb wheel, It’s sorta on the side of the remote and feels a bit awkward at times but it’s not a big deal.

Price/where on the market does this fit in:

I’m going to put this in the same catagory as a dual flipsky 4.20 plus with a vx1 remote which comes out to Roughly the same price as the esk8 supply vesc. With the flipsky combo you get a bit more customizability, a nicer form factor and in my opinion a bit better of a remote however it’s antispark is not great and is known to fail. (I don’t think the esk8 supply antispark has been tested enough to give the final verdict on it yet but so far so good.)

If you are a new to building electric skateboards or just want something that’s super easy to install I would deffinently go for the @esk8supply combo over the flipsky. For a more experience Builder I would probably go for the flipsky combo.

Overall I’m be very pleased with this esc/combo and will update this thread if any issues do occur.

4 Likes

how’s this working for you so far?

1 Like