My experience with the esk8 supply dual vesc based esc

Hey guys,

Here is my review of the dual vesc based esc from @Esk8supply!

Full disclaimer- I did receive this item at a discount in exchange for a review.

First impressions-

-The esc came well packaged and protected however it was just wrapped in bubble wrap and I would have liked to see it in a anti-static bag.

-The esc itself looks nice and well put together with a nice heatsink for the mosfets( the heatsink is a bit thin tho).

-The esc is fully exposed. It would be nice to see some sorta case or shrinkwrap over it.

-The included remote is surprisingly nice and feels good in the hand although I prefer the shape of the vx1.

The only possible qc defect I found was that there was no heatshrink on the terminals of the switch. @Jujo did your unit have heatshrink on the switch terminals?

Size/setup-

The size is around the same size as 2 vesc 4.12 so it’s pretty compact but you can find smaller options.

it being a dual esc and haveing a built in reciver does minimize allot of wire clutter compared to the 4.12 setup which is nice. The only thing I really dislike about the escs form factor is the wire placement. Most dual escs have the wires on length of pcb while this one has it on the width.

Setup was pretty straightforward in the vesc tool and the esc is now installed and ready to ride!

I will do some rideing over the next few days and update here with my findings

7 Likes

Oh wow, I hadn’t even realized it. Mine doesnt either.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick update! We will have a CNC case ready in 2 weeks.

6 Likes

Looks like a hobbywing esc how unfortunate.

Looks like Exway one to me, but that’s Hobbywing to.

@Movation @Luke
Looks, not function like a Hobbywing, this ESC is completely customisable.
Also, the remote has been inspired by Hobbywing’s design has been proven to be reliable and user-friendly.
I don’t see how it is unfortunate. :smiley:

8 Likes

What vesc hw version is based on, what is its max current, volt, where are the rest of the headers, can I do 4 motor drive via canbus. What is the drv chip used, how much current is the a\s switch rated at. Are there more capacitors on the back. Will it do foc at 52V, can i use a uart controller. Why does it look like something that fell out of a meepooo.

1 Like

More like why can’t you use question marks :joy:

Or just read the product page

4 Likes

My point is its priced like a premium product but is missing a lot of basics.

I put out a review earlier.
-its based on VESC6.1
-max 60A cont
-im running 12s FOC sensored
-no other headers, caps, or UART port

And hush now, this thing is adorable

3 Likes

Honestly the only things I would like to see are the addition of a Uart port for a metr or davega module, and the ability to connect any remote. (Also no antispark, ill just loopkey it)

If those changes were to come out I would absolutely use it in my Choo Choo build but with more metal for a heatsink

2 Likes

That’s a valid point. It’s caught in the middle of true vescs and escs. No offense to esk8 supply or their product, but I would rather buy a full-fledged vesc at this pricepoint.

1 Like

is it based off vesc 4.x or 6.x?

1 Like

6.1 apparently

Does it use a DRV though?

2 Likes

So one thing to note with the pricing. It is a dual controller with the 6.xx hardware with a smart remote that is very similar to the flipsky vx1 (even a basic nano would cost $40). If you consider that, the pricing makes sense. It is designed more for beginners who would want a reliable option without breaking the bank.
For those of you would want a little more (uart, remote options, higher output), we are introducing something similar. That can do 150a cont, 500a burst which should be good enough for 90% of the builds here?
Also will have CNC covers for the escs coming out soon :grin:

10 Likes

oh woooooord :eyes:

Can we get some leaks? Whats the size/form factor? Will it have more caps?

1 Like

Hehe, more for tomorrow. Time to sleep :grin:

1 Like

The size is actually very close to the current ESC, if not smaller (without the CNC case). We are testing on the prototype right now. When the time comes we might get some of you to be testers.

sneak peak
Currently testing with no case, will be testing with 12awg wires as well.

7 Likes

Sounds like it might come out the same time Dexter releases his controllers… I would love to do a side by side comparison

2 Likes

Can I reserve a spot for that ESC if you do a mini review release type of thing (like you did for this esc)?

3 Likes