My experience with Eovan

Dig it out but i dont think a stormcore will fit in their your gonna have to go with a flipsky esc

1 Like

yea youre right 5mm too small. an angle grinder might make it work

Kinda. I also accidentally pulled off some tiny SMD components.

I wouldn’t invest too much time into entry level esc’s that are potted.

Boil out the guts and reuse the sink and connectors tho.

3 Likes

Will any mosfets or other components blow up on me while i scoop this shit out?

1 Like

Nah. Don’t do it while connected to a battery and you’ll be fine.

Im trying to get the eovan motors fixed up to be plugged into a stormcore
I got the wrong size JST connector so i have to repin again, but is this correct? I just copied the wiring the same way it was plugged into eovans ESC, took pics before i ripped it out.

1 Like

Most important is not mixing up GND and VCC ( the two outer ones). Ideally you forget about the 3 hall cables and only figure out the temp pin. That should be the one next to VCC ( red). Then you run VSS or HFI, of if you use the BETA VESC-Tool you can also use sHFI (silent HFI).
Hall sensor cables tend to snap over time anyway and not using them is a good thing.

cables are typically VCC, TEMP, Hall1, Hall2, Hall3, GND.
Eovan: Red = VCC, white= TEMP, yellow= H1, green= H2, blue=H3, black= GND.

2 Likes

losing me on this part, im not 100% familiar with the vesctool. If using the hall sensor would i choose that in this dropdown menu?

What would be the disadvantages of not using the hall sensor? Say the wire snapped during a ride what would occur?

1 Like

VESC-Tool would use Hall automatically if they are wired in. No need to change anything.
If no sensors are found it would choose something else, depending on the device FW.
Default is VSS for a VESC 6MK V for example.
The BETA VESC-Tool offers even more options (silent HFI etc.).
However, if you re-wire the sensor cables you can use the hall sensors till they fail one day due to cable perforation or whatever reason. Halls are only used to get you rolling. If they snap, your board will not start from zero mph very nicely and cogg a bit. Once you gain some speed, the halls are not used and shut down for rotor tracking.

2 Likes

I’ve seen some videos of this in the past. does it still let you get going from a 0mph? If not, then why is not using them a good thing?

2 Likes

Because using no sensors but rather HFI or VSS or sHFI will avoid that you will ever get issues with broken sensor wires. You can’t snap cables that are non existant.

Here we go…

1 Like

Are you unpotting it??? Really curious to see what’s inside these things

Also those phase connectors are almost MR69s! @BenjaminF

4 Likes

Those phase connectors probably cant handle all that much current though sadly. Would be awesome for cruiser boards for sure though

2 Likes

idk they look like the same size bullets as the XT60 sitting next to it… but yeah the wires look like 14-16 awg :frowning:

2 Likes

I am. And yeah, the connectors are sick. Definitely look like MR69’s! but these only have 5 sensor pins. Edit: My bad, I couldn’t count lol there’s 6.

2 Likes

This is where I’m at now.

2 Likes

Got the walls off. I’m pretty sure it’s just potting compound that’s holding it on. It’s really soft

2 Likes

That was way easier than I thought. One wack with a chisel and it popped right off.

2 Likes

Nice job! So was this a stacked PCB? Do you have a pic of the logic board?

1 Like