Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

I think theyre fine motors for urethane builds. For the only reason that they use weaker magnets than the SK3 motors and dont seem to have as much copper fill in the windings? Maybe its the same and I’m slightly bad at judging copper fill. But they’re just really mediocre motors, I’d lean towards Flipsky BH6374’s if theyre any cheaper, saves you some epoxy and time filling between magnets and whatnot.

2 Likes

Alright so i checked the mamba escs but there are no real setting to limit the input voltage. They cant be set up as detailled like vescs.
But tday i spoke with a guy who is into high sped rc cars and explained the problem and this motor and gearing is just not suitable gor a 8s setup.
The motor (sss56114) specs are 100a max and 118v max which gives a total power of 13000watts in theorie. These 13000watts can only be reached by high voltage setups and 100a delivered to the motor. In my volleagues setup he only delivers 33v to the motor so 33Vx100A => 3300 watts. And then he has the 1:3 gearing which is also jot suitable to an inrunner motor as they need a higher gear reduction compared to an outrunner. All this kust doesnt work together. Why the motor totally cuts out at load is maybe some sort of safety of the escs. Just wanna thank you all for your input and time!!
Now were looking for auited motors and gears😅

Anybody has experiences with TPpower motors?
Are they good?

This is probably not accurate.

That should still work and not cut out. While this gearing isn’t ideal, it’s not that far off from ideal, and it should still work just fine.

It’s almost certainly that this is your problem:

Undo that, and you may find success. Have you tried that yet?

1 Like

Yes the settings are done like in the stooge setups in general but i lowered the input voltage setting (it only says low medium and high there are no exact numbers tht can be selected)

1 Like

Yes, they are good.

1 Like

Low the battery current setting. What is it set to?

Current, not voltage.

1 Like

Another way to thing of it is if you use 6:1 ratio you would be using half the load. (Top speed would be around 30mph). If you used two motors on top of that you would use half of the already halved load. Stooge is doing 7.1-7.8 reduction on 150mm wheels fyi.

@Sharky What are you trying to accomplish, is this a street or raceboard? If street you may be better off using outrunners and vesc

1 Like

Actually its not my build its to one from a friend of mine who wants to do a racebord build. But he messed it up😅
So he needs to get another battery esc combo or another motor. The gearing should be changed in any of those setups imo. I know etoxx/nowind was running one of these sss56123 inrunners on 18s with a 1:20 double gear reduction and a solid axle :sweat_smile:

1 Like

If he wants to make a raceboard, then “working at all” isn’t going to help. It needs to be “working perfectly”.

So yes, while there is an unresolved issue causing the cutouts, probably best to start over with better engineering.

It would still help to understand why it’s cutting out, because if that problem isn’t resolved, it could cause injury later.

1 Like

There are no currents shown in the castle escs for the battery. Only the motor has current settings with real current values.
In the castle escs it looks like tht.

1 Like

Do you know ho they work in sensored mode?

They’re sensorless.

1 Like

I’m going to translate:

“not well”

1 Like

Actually theyre now also avialable sensored

:sweat_smile::ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

so yes rc controllers will cut out if the load is to great. Source- i’ve had this happen on a rc
try changing that start power setting to high
second remove the motor from the drive and see if it spins

1 Like

yepp its spinning well without load
i maybe try to adjust the timing on the escs but as this setup is wrong in general in terms of motor, gearing and or battery and esc combbo i think my colleague just needs to decide if he changes the battery/escs or the motor/gearing (cheaper imo :-))
thx to you and all the other for looking into this and investing time

!!! Watt = Volt * Ampère (P = U * I) !!! dont ignore tht
:nerd_face:

1 Like

Ignore whatt?

Anyways maybe its better to move this to its own discussion?

1 Like

This isn’t necessarily true unless you’re at top speed. There are a lot of other variables, like duty cycle, that affect things a lot as well.

3 Likes