Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

whats the current opinion on the turnigy sk8 motors? I like that the can is supported on both sides. Also they seem to have very little magnetic force outwards of the can, which was good i read a long time ago.

If you’re not using sensors, your torque at zero speed will be virtually nonexistant. Are the wheels turning before you’re applying throttle?

1 Like

No wheels are not turning before throttle
But we tried to push the board and its moving about 3 meters then but then the motor cuts out

1 Like

Did you charge the battery?

Is the battery poop?

Does the XLX have voltage cutout settings?

1 Like

New fully charged tattu lipos 8s2p
Mamba has no cutout settings activated we checked tht

1 Like

My guess is there is nowhere enough gear reduction. Are you running a single drive as well ?

4 Likes

Yep thts also one point thts not fitting
For test purpose we only conncted one motor to one mamba to one wheel. The gear reduction is only 1:3 (not good imo) but i think it should still drive and accelerate slowly even with pishing the board it cuts out

Are you discharging through a BMS?

1 Like

Nope

What is the battery current limit set at in the XLX? Turn that down.

1 Like

We removed all limitations or set it to high.

That’s why it doesn’t work

1 Like

Set the battery current max to 34A per ESC

1 Like

Ok ill try tht thx very much!!
Let you know then

It’s a lot of load. You’re geared for close to 60mph on one motor. That’s to much even for dual drive. Innrunners work best with a lot of reduction you should be looking at 6:1 reduction with dual drive. If to slow with that reduction then you should increase kv or increase voltage (different esc).

3 Likes

It’s not too much, it’s just too much for extreme performance.

It should still work and function as an esk8. Just with a lot less torque. It shouldn’t be cutting out.

1 Like

At least on a flat road it should slowly accelearate. Its clear this setup was done wrong we now just want to figure out why it cuts out

Yeah from my understanding if you want to run tht motor powerful you need a 18 to 20s setup

If it didn’t cut out it would probably catch fire imo. Rc esc don’t really have amp limiting they just send all the amps to overcome the load. @sharky see what stooge raceboards are doing. The xlx is capable at 8s just your reduction is not right along with being single drive. Your kv may be wrong depending on what speed you are after.

2 Likes

Those batteries are probably sagging below the low voltage cutoff, which is causing the cutouts, due to current limit being infinity.

If it wasn’t cutting out, it might be catching fire or melting something instead.

1 Like