Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

Do you still need bigger motors? lol

3 Likes

We need those silver TB6380s :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Yeah, we do need the silver ones @torqueboards

1 Like

I’ll take any color TB6380s LoLz

Can’t wait for restock, because I can’t bring myself to use any other motor on single drive after trying those.

5 Likes

I do for my evo! I have your older 6355s…bought them before I knew what I was even doing with building. They only have like 20-30 miles on them though…you accept returns right?! loll

3 Likes

Get your shit together @torqueboards how many times do we have to tell you

5 Likes

Yeah man why do you have those tiny motors :joy:

4 Likes

I was trying to be cheap when I planned my first ride and was going to use the ripba trucks from psychotiller…so those were the biggest motors that would fit at the time! But then got a great deal on surfrodz.

2 Likes

TB direct drives probably aren’t ready for use with AT wheels just yet. I’m having very mixed results, and those results are hurting my wallet as well as dexter’s, so we’d like to just put that out there. Some testing on Janux rims and berg tires has them running amazingly well, while other testing has something going wrong with the motors and very very quickly at that. At this point its too mixed for me to say do it.

12 Likes

Hopefully this means if they’ve run fine for a bit they’ll stay that way :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

U confirm the kv? If the motor is the same kv it should have the same torque except for subtle differences if the same size motor/resistance especially

I did not confirm the Kv, the sealed Maytech 6374 and the TB6380 both were labeled 170Kv but the TB motors feels a lot more powerful.

It feels more powerful than a Turnigy sk8 “6374” (6189) 190Kv motor when the Turnigy is running 100A motor max (29A battery max) and the TB motor is running 74A motor max (29A battery max). That’s more than the Kv difference alone would explain.

7 Likes

Who knows without the kv really. Be easy to get a true electrical comparison of motors with just the kv and resistance. Other than that only other things that wouldn’t be included in that would be durability and possibly cogging torque or the slight variance in iron losses

1 Like

I have the Racerstar 5065 200kv’s on @IDEA geardrive and they are bombproof.
I can top out at 35 still climb hills but they do heat up on the steep hills if I dig deep on the throttle, hooked up to a Unity on a 10s5p Vtc6’s rock’n a @hummieee deck.
Good reliable motor for the price.

18 Likes

Are you tiptoeing around the details? Ah hell I’ll ask anyway. Did the motors blow up and shoot fire? Did they not shoot fire with janux,haggy but shoot fire with other AT wheels?

1 Like

Yeah inquiring minds want to know kinda looking ur way as I Kno u already playing around with this let us kno everything lol.

@deucesdown @f1rstb81 not enough info yet. I’m waiting on a couple of boards to come back so i can more thoroughly inspect the motors after replacing their drive systems.

4 Likes

Granted, LHB issue may be something completely different we haven’t isolated it out yet.

But personally, I haven’t tested as much as I should have with pneumatics.

The performance for TB DD on 110s is fantastic and has more then enough power than I can handle.

But with that said… TB DD on 160s IMO doesn’t have enough power. This could be skewed as I haven’t tweaked the settings completely. I ride like 25mph… so if I don’t like it… that’s pretty bad.

For 145-160mm tires… you would get much better torque and power from a belt/gear drive setup IMHO. This is why I can’t just get rid of everything and go with direct drive. I like them all for different reasons.

As of now, I don’t recommend using anything larger than 110mm as it hasn’t been tested extensively. We may release some 120mm tires (all rubber) for our hubs which would and should work good for DIY for TB DD.

14 Likes

Thanks Dex. Really really appreciate your candid opinion. This helps set realistic expectations with your products, which might not be beneficial to your sales in the short run, but helps customers decide intelligently, which should help you in the long run.

hehe the 160s with quad 90kv maybe?

6 Likes

We have a few people who will be testing them on 4WD 90KV most likely… but I’d rather set expectations then have people ruin their motors or be entirely disappointed.

It’s a great setup as it is… but adding larger wheels is like running 160s with a 16T/16T or 48T/48T gearing ratio… sounds like it will ride pretty bad to me. lol :face_vomiting::poop:

6 Likes