Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

I really like my Sk8 motors…more than my Trampa and Maytech ones…

5 Likes

I am looking to try the roll pin method on my sealed motors. Those are brand new and it’d be great if I manage to not fuck up.
Are you drilling through the whole width of the shaft? This is hardened steel right? Any advice on securing the motor for drilling?

1 Like

@Dareno might know?? I think the sk8’s have a little bit more torque even though they are rated the same, don’t quote me on that though…

How are you dealing with the lack of circlip on the sk8? Any can slipping?

I use washers spacers, not trouble at all, and much better than a circlip… Bought them from Trampa, they have the same diameter of the Turnigy, and recommend them since I could not find any other ones, at least in my country.

Best solution!

2 Likes

Yes, entire width. No, the rotor is aluminum and the shaft is case-hardened steel. Securing the motor sucks, I recommend not smashing the can and definitely not dropping it on the floor :smirk:

Also the roll pin will vibrate out of there, (I know, shocking) so put a dab of JB Weld in it once you’re sure everything is good.

3 Likes

I have only had 6374 190kV SK3’s, so limited in experience and biased, but they’re strong and reliable.

I’d love to try dual Leopard 8072’s some day.

6 Likes

So i have been trying these sensorless 5055 270 kv motors from aliexpress.

Pretty decent little buggers for me and pretty torqy even from standstill. but im also not a very hardcore skater compared to you guys here.

I had to open one because there was one flaw with them, I removed the outer shrinkwrap from the three cables and the middle cable was able to touch the motor can, so the can shaved the cable a bit. When i wanted to solder the cable back together i noticed that these are not cables soldered to the motor, but actually the copper winding extended and connected to a bullet connector.

Just a story about these things, the quality seemed very well to me for €30 a piece.

Whats your opinion about these ones? Im using the racerstar 5045s now btw :wink:

4 Likes

I ran those 270s for a bit with vescs, and they’re not bad in that use case. But the Racerstars will make for a much better experience, whether 140 or 200kv.

3 Likes

I absolutely abhor motors without terminated windings INSIDE the motor. The Turnigy sk8 motors are like that as well :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

I agree with Bill, for budget motors,the Racerstar 5065 are actually surprisingly good. Too bad they have a D shaft and not a 3mm keyway, but at least it’s not cylindrical. For $45 (and a 3 month wait) they aren’t bad at all. Pretty decent actually.

1 Like

Those new torqueboard 6380 are super sweet! I swapped them into a board that had sk3’s and the difference is night and day.

4 Likes

May i ask why? Isnt it the best for the most current? Since the max these “cables” can handle is also the max from the motor right?

1 Like

Yes I agree, I swapped a Maytech sealed 6374 for a TB 6380 and the difference is night and day, the TB6380 takes no prisoners. Also compared to a Turnigy sk8 “6374” the tb6380 is so much more pull.

5 Likes

It’s not about current, it’s about flexibility and durability

2 Likes

What’s the difference? Do you feel more power, smoother start, between response?

1 Like

The difference for me is I feel a lot more power with the same input settings.

2 Likes

Smoother, cooler, more power, more torque.

4 Likes

Do you still need bigger motors? lol

3 Likes

We need those silver TB6380s :kissing_heart:

6 Likes