Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

So after old TB 6374 pair, and running Alien 6374 hev motors right now, I;m going back to TB but 6380 version now, can’t wait to test those out.

1 Like

Have someone a video of a maytech closed can 6374 motor, when it’s in the FOC mode?

1 Like

These were 6355 sealed maytechs, the 6374 I have now make the same noise if not a little louder.
Sensored FOC 20kHz

4 Likes

Sweet ride @taz, can you share the link where you got your sealed Maytechs and your 6374s? They sound really solid

Both were bought from eskating.eu

Is that overlay made with Metr app?

Yes, I used the data from the metr and the Garmin virb app for the overlay.
The speed is wrong though because I had used the wrong wheel diameter.
Top speed should be 55km/h

How are those 6380 holding up? Would you recommend them over the 6374?

2 Likes

I tried a tb6380 motor and it’s the best motor I’ve tried, but it’s also the biggest motor I’ve tried.

I pinned the can to the axle as a preemptive measure I do with all motors now, but so far it’s holding up fine.

3 Likes

Like these?

I think 170kv?
What did you have them on? 10s/12s ?

(I know they are toughing. OLD photos, only one of motors i had on phone)

I will be able to test those out not sooner than a month or so unfortunately.

Yes but I have the 190kV version.
They were on 12S.

1 Like

@Mainflow

I made a video with 30khz

not sure if you hear the motors due to the wind

Sounds like the Bajaboard.

1 Like

What about a low viscosity retaining compound between the motor shaft and the can, not sure how easy that would be to implement and how well it would go hand in hand with how they are currently press fitting the shaft onto the motor can. I for one can’t get the shaft off the can with the tools I have so I can’t test it out.
But for the past 2 years I have more or less only used 648 loctite to secure motor pulleys to the shaft and it has yet to fail me. I just key the surfaces of the shaft and motor pulley with 60 grit sand paper, degrease and flood them with loctite.

Or maybe shrink fitting could be an option, might not be very easy as I guess you have to secure the shaft to the can before the magnets cus high temperatures and magnets. Again not sure how that would work out.

I currently have 5 or 6 different freerchobby style motors at home that have loosey goosey shafts, and it rattles my OCD.
Are the maytechs any better in that regard?

2 Likes

I wish I could tell you about a motor with a rock-solid shaft, but all I’ve found will eventually come loose. The freerchobby ones come loose the quickest. I hear a couple vendors are working on this right now, though. Stay tuned…

1 Like

When I took apart my SK3s, I pressed the shafts out and put low viscosity permanent retainer when pressing them back in, it just worked. It’s a bit messy and fiddly with the application, but I never seen the shaft wiggle afterwards. By default it does wiggle even with the flatspot and grub screws after big torque.

4 Likes

I’m looking for a 2wd and I am torn between the Sk3 and the Sk8. The specs appear to be very similar. I guess I am mostly wondering about whether or not the closed can and the sensor wires are worth the price. I have been looking around and I think I am a fan of the sk8’s due to the power to price point ratio.

1 Like

I’m currently running duel maytech 6374 190kv open motors on my city mountain board. Originally I was gonna swap them out to my next board and put sealed motors on the mountain board. I’m in the process of reading everything the community has on motors because I plan on battle hardening them and somewhere (Above) some one mentioned conformal silicon as well as battle hardening. … any good reads on that process? I don’t see any point in going sealed if I’m battle hardened and coated. Am I right?

From what I’ve heard. Theres something about the SK8 that quite a few people find lacking in comparison to the reliability of the sk3’s. I’d wait to get someone first hand advice, but if you have the time, there should be some information about it on the dark side

1 Like