Motor discussion: the best and worst of it all

You are going to have a difficult time finding those KV ratings. I would suggest Maytech Brushless 6355 170kv sealed can motors. Here is a link to manufacturers page, Im sure you can find a cheaper price.

2 Likes

Thanks man, I was looking also into them :slight_smile:

Then now I’m between those and Flipsky’s…

Maytech on Aliexpress are 130$ but another 30$ for shipping to Spain :frowning: :frowning:

1 Like

If you don’t like the color, just paint them with nail polish, you can go dark or go sexy…

Great motors BTW…

4 Likes

I heard that painting the can black, then sanding the ridges to reveal raw metal looks good if you don’t want blue.

1 Like

No need of sanding, just acetone will do the job…

3 Likes

Many thanks @Santino!

There is also 6354 size in 140kv which is actually perfect for my needs (to get around 30kmh and good torque).

So these are gooooood? Considering shipping those are almost half price than the Maytech, given the quote I got from them to send to Spain so… not sure if the Maytech worth the extra cost… :slight_smile:

Maytech are also sealed, Turnigy aren’t… it would be nice to have sealed motors since they are intended to be used on an AT board that will get dirty and won’t be running always on dry paths…

2 Likes

Any motor where the can rotates, the “seal” is compromised. Maytechs just have a blemish free can.

4 Likes

Why u say compromised if spinning? A sealed motor will keep out the debris

I and many others realise this, but the OP seems to think Maytechs have better sealing because they have a plainer surface, which isn’t true.

2 Likes

hahaha I have no clue man… I just said that because the word “sealed” appears on Maytech’s and not on Turnigy’s… just asking, total n00b here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Actually I bought 2 SK8 for the price of 1 Maytech…I am happy with them so far…If you want more responsive torque from them, just lower positive ramping to 0,1 sec and go to throttle mapping and put 20% to increase torque at the beginning of the acceleration…Do not play with the breaks on the mapping…Remember to start slow, get used to the settings first…Always use helmet…

1 Like

If the price, including shipping at VAT, were the same, which motor would you buy?

• Maytech 6374 190KV
  • TorqueBoards 6374 190KV

0 voters

I ask because that is the current situation and I want to be ready to pull the trigger if anything changes during black friday sales.

2 Likes

I’d purely go for the torqueboards since I’ve never seen a 7463 version before.

Otherwise I’d stick with maytech since I’m familiar with them and I’d want the open kind. Not the sealed.

I’m running a pair of 6374 170kv sealed on my at and they always overheat on the kart track. Also on my commute. They can’t stay cool enough for constant 40 to 45kph speeds very well

4 Likes

yeah, yeah, yeah, I fixed that typo

1 Like

To see what motor is best other than just someone’s experience with durability run the motors on the vesc tool and get the true kv and the electrical resistance which reveals what motor is better in that it will stay cooler. The only other variable being the iron losses which can be compared running at top same speed comparing the current draw. If ur not comparing these things might as well base what’s best on your favorite color.

8 Likes

Sounds logical, but me being new to the scene, I’ll take durability over a scientific pissing contest. I was just hoping for someone who has owned both and ran the shit out of both of them for a couple years now and has first hand experience on durability.

6 Likes

The TB6380 is a very good motor.

5 Likes

You might want to go Sk3 then. Our resident drinker of backyard sink wine beats them hard and puts them away wet and they hold up really well.

@Dareno

7 Likes

Contrary to popular belief, I actually have very good taste in wine but I digress. Where were we?

Motors.

If you ride sensors then sk3 are not for you but are pretty much indestructible at some high amps. If @b264 says the tb6380 are a good sensored option then they are because he hammers his stuff in all weathers. For the same reason if @mmaner recommends the maytech then they are a good choice too. Literally put it down to size/kv/availability and price and pull the trigger.

8 Likes

b264 dont use no sensors you boomer

6 Likes