Morpheus | Backpack MTB | Refined Commuter

Because ESCs aren’t that resilient against voltage spikes battery side, and motors can handle just about any voltage spike we can throw at them.

What I’m not sure about, is what happens to current flowing back from the motors, and also what about regen braking and voltage spikes from that.

3 Likes

Following this thread for someone more knowledgeable to explain this!

2 Likes

Haha maybe the one you got was rock solid… there are plenty of people out there that weren’t so lucky. I’d rather push than run a board with a flipsky product on it.

3 Likes

Just make sure you do the detection with the long leads, and preferably with them stretched in the same way they are when you ride so the inductance is measured correctly

1 Like

I’m more worried about voltage spikes going back to the ESC than stator position calculations. At least the phase wires are 10AWG so less internal resistance than 12AWG.

1 Like

As I suspected, not great, definitely have to replace the POM gear.

…and the backlash on my setup…

2 Likes

:astonished: where’s the lube!?

5 Likes

Used for a… Another purpose…

7 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about, if it was on the battery side, then it can be a problem, but unless you are running 10’s of meters, the inductance of the longer wire is around and order of magnitude smaller than the motor itself

2 Likes

How did you do this?

2 Likes

Cleaned out for the photo, wouldn’t have mattered anyway, reportedly I was running the wrong backlash, or the motor wasn’t tight enough and moved.

Due to the windings, and the length of wire in there? I thought tightly wound wires reduces the inductance thereof, as opposed to a long piece that’s not wound?

It’s the opposite, when you coil a wire, the inductance increases a lot compared to it being just a straight line

2 Likes

Awesome! So I really have nothing to fear regarding voltage spikes! What about motor position calculation as alluded to by @itsrow here?

1 Like

That could be something to keep an eye on since you are at 12S, I would slowly raise the braking currents while logging to see what happens

Capacitor on the phase side doesn’t makes sense since it’s AC

3 Likes

The something to keep an eye on you’re talking about is the micro-stuttering, not the ESC being fried, right?

1 Like

Yeah, and voltage spikes battery side, unfortunately only plugging VESC tool over USB would give phase voltage

2 Likes

I’m getting a metr Pro, anything I should put on the dashboard to keep an eye on?

2 Likes

It helps, but only the VESC tool allows you to capture the BEMF, that is what would be a problem for your setup

But keep in mind that the spike would only become a problem when your motor is spinning at it’s maximum, if you really go full speed all the time

1 Like

I’m on 8S currently (25mph) currently, pretty sure I won’t push the limits of 12S anytime soon. Plus, I’m only going 12S when I buy a BMS and get my new enclosure done.

1 Like